Use default (universal) font folders for new users

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jjane45

Use default (universal) font folders for new users

Post by jjane45 »

Hello everyone!! We are testrunning MainType and so far I have been very happy about the change. Unlike ATM, MainType just works like a charm with restricted users :D

Running on Windows XP with multiple restricted users, we have a need to maintain universal font groups for all users to assure consistent font management.

Right now I manually change each user's setting to a universal data folder containing "My Font Groups" and "Uninstalled Fonts". Works for current users but new users will always have to change their settings when they first use MainType.

Is there anyway the system administrator can modify the default settings such that for all users, new or current, MainType can save "My Font Groups" and "Uninstalled Fonts" in a specified universal folder instead of My Documents?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Sorry for my late reply. I'm glad you like MainType :D

They need access to this key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\High-Logic\MainType\2.0\Options\Folders

That key contains two string values: BackupFontsFolder and GroupsFolder that need to be changed to sub folders of your universal data folder.

Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
jjane45

Post by jjane45 »

Thank you very much Erwin for your help :)
This key in the registry affects only the current user though. My concern is to change the GLOBAL default setting for everyone, including new and existing users. That is, change /user/My Documents to a non user-specific folder...
Still looking around :) Thank you again!