PostScript Type 1 Fonts in Adobe under Windows 7

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Krystian

PostScript Type 1 Fonts in Adobe under Windows 7

Post by Krystian »

Hello

I just moved to Windows 7 64bit and got MainType 3.0 as a replacement for Adobe Type Manager Light. I have a couple of PostScript Type 1 Fonts I want to continue using on my new system. I tried the demo version of MainType on my XP system and it worked fine back then.

However, on Windows 7 the PostScript Type 1 Fonts I install with MainType don't show in any Adobe Product (CS3) except in Flash. The fonts don't show up in my Windows Font folder either. They seem to be installed anyway. They work perfectly in Flash. They work in Wordpad - the preview doesn't work but I can write with them. Also, installing the fonts manually triggers a "do you want to overwrite" message box.

To be fair, installing them manually doesn't make them appear in the Adobe Products either. But I tried that only after I installed MainType and found out it doesn't work. The problem seems to be limited ONLY to PostScript Type 1 fonts. Other fonts work fine.

I'm quite confused by all this. I don't know if the problem is with my fonts, Windows 7, MainType or the Adobe Products. :(

Krystian Majewski
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: PostScript Type 1 Fonts in Adobe under Windows 7

Post by Dave Crosby »

As with the .fon fonts, PostScript Type 1 Fonts are being phased out.
I guess someone is going to have to convert them to .ttf or .otf or they will weather back into the earth.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't see why they don't work, although I have to admit I don't have CS3 to check it out.

Did you buy a new PC or did you upgrade your Windows version?

Did you actually install or load the fonts through MainType?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Krystian

Post by Krystian »

Update:

I found out that they do work. They are simply not being FOUND by the programs. So when I create a document from scratch, the fonts don't appear in the list. However, when I load an old document that uses the files, the font magically appear.

It sound reasonable. The Type 1 Fonts don't appear in the Windows Fonts folder after all. Is there any way to fix this?
Krystian

Post by Krystian »

Erwin Denissen wrote:I don't see why they don't work, although I have to admit I don't have CS3 to check it out.

Did you buy a new PC or did you upgrade your Windows version?

Did you actually install or load the fonts through MainType?
It's not a new PC but it's a clean wipe and a complete, fresh re-install.

I installed the font using MainType.

It might be a known issue, but the workarounds suggested by Adobe don't work for me either:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2427070#2427070

By the way, I'm getting weird issues in MainType with some of the fonts now. I'm getting "Similar font installed" status on some of the fonts. I tried unistalling and re-installing them using MainType but they are still "Similar font installed". :?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Krystian wrote:It might be a known issue, but the workarounds suggested by Adobe don't work for me either:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2427070#2427070
The bug is indeed confirmed by Adobe:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2864372?tstart=0
Krystian wrote:By the way, I'm getting weird issues in MainType with some of the fonts now. I'm getting "Similar font installed" status on some of the fonts. I tried unistalling and re-installing them using MainType but they are still "Similar font installed". :?
That is what it should say when you installed those fonts from a different location. MainType 1, 2 and 3 mark a font as "Similar font installed" if a font with the same font family name, font style and font type, but different file(s) or different file location(s) is already installed. It can be another version of the font, or a font with the same name but from another vendor, or even just a copy of the same font file(s).
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology