How to add fonts to groups?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Post Reply
Enigma
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Kiel, Germany

How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Enigma » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Maybe I'm just too dumb, but how do I add fonts to font groups in MainType 4? The toolbar button that exists in MainType 3 has gone, and there's no entry in the font context menu anymore. When clicking on the groups pane, the contents of the current group are shown, so drag & drop doesn't work either. I'm a little bit puzzled... :?

One group (uninstalled fonts) has been created automatically. Can I just delete the fonts in it to remove them from the group? Or will they really be deleted then?

Cheers,
Jan
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer
Posts: 8345
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:28 am
Location: Seven Kings, London UK
Contact:

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:15 pm

  1. In the Groups pane Expand the groups tree so that you can see them
  2. In the Views pane, select one of the views that includes the fonts you want to add to a group
  3. Select the fonts in that view
  4. Drag and drop them to any group
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC12 Pro + MT9.0 @ Win10 1903 build 18362.356

Enigma
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:49 am

Thank you very much for your reply!

I docked the Views and the Groups pane together so I can switch between them by clicking on a tab. Once a group is selected, I can't switch from the Views to the Groups pane without changing the View pane (the one showing the fonts) - it then shows the contents of the group, and it's not possible to deselect a group without selecting another one. I even tried dragging fonts to the Groups pane tab when the Views pane is shown, but it won't switch to the Groups pane (as it is in an explorer). As it seems, these two panes can't be docked together without losing the ability to add fonts to groups. That's bad - I like tidy GUIs, and I think the two panes go well together thematically.

I hope there will be additional ways to add fonts to groups in later versions of MainType 4.

Cheers,
Jan
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

León Fridsma
Posts: 694
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:26 am
Location: De Bilt, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by León Fridsma » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 am

Enigma wrote:I docked the Views and the Groups pane together so I can switch between them by clicking on a tab. Once a group is selected, I can't switch from the Views to the Groups pane without changing the View pane (the one showing the fonts) - it then shows the contents of the group, and it's not possible to deselect a group without selecting another one. I even tried dragging fonts to the Groups pane tab when the Views pane is shown, but it won't switch to the Groups pane (as it is in an explorer). As it seems, these two panes can't be docked together without losing the ability to add fonts to groups. That's bad - I like tidy GUIs, and I think the two panes go well together thematically.

I hope there will be additional ways to add fonts to groups in later versions of MainType 4.
This is a missing feature of the docking manager we are using and we haven't not found a work-around or solution for it yet. We do however have the intention to add other ways to add fonts to groups (context menu, keyboard shortcuts), but I don't know if/when these will be implemented.

León

Enigma
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 am

León Fridsma wrote:We do however have the intention to add other ways to add fonts to groups (context menu, keyboard shortcuts)
That would be enough for me.

BTW: I'm missing some of the toolbar icons that existed in MainType 3 (e. g. for HTML export, deleting, etc.).
León Fridsma wrote:but I don't know if/when these will be implemented.
Well, I really hope they will!

Cheers,
Jan
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

Erwin Denissen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:41 am
Location: Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Erwin Denissen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 am

With the latest version (get it through the built-in update feature, or download MainType from our download page) you can now copy and paste fonts to groups.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology

Enigma
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Erwin Denissen wrote:With the latest version (get it through the built-in update feature, or download MainType from our download page) you can now copy and paste fonts to groups.
Fine! It would be even better if there were context menu entries for copying and pasting - always using the Edit menu isn't optimal, and since I have only one arm, I'm avoiding switching from mouse to keyboard and back as much as possible.

Cheers,
Jan
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

Erwin Denissen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:41 am
Location: Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Erwin Denissen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 am

We'll probably add items to the context menus with the next upcoming release.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology

Enigma
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Enigma » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 am

Erwin Denissen wrote:We'll probably add items to the context menus with the next upcoming release.
Good to hear, thank you very much! :)

Cheers,
Jan
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

HotChevy
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:21 am

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by HotChevy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:27 am

How do I REMOVE font references from a subgroup folder, please?

Enigma
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: How to add fonts to groups?

Post by Enigma » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:33 am

HotChevy wrote:How do I REMOVE font references from a subgroup folder, please?
Just select them in the group view and hit the Delete key.

Cheers,
Jan
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

Post Reply