Font Folders Display

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
pltsmt

Font Folders Display

Post by pltsmt »

How do I get my font folders to display in the layout? I want to be able to click on my various folders that I have set, for example, printing, handwriting, deco, dingbats, and so on. I don't want to see everything all in one list.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font Folders Display

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When adding folder to your Font Library use the option to create groups.

MainType 4 uses a database approach and doesn't care about paths or folders.

Use the groups pane to view the fonts in any group. A group is like a filter on a database, which shows only fonts in the database that match a pattern. Deleting a group does not delete the fonts. You can add the same font to as many groups as you want.

Adjusting to the new way of working may take a while, but it is this database approach is so much more efficient. Type any font name or part of a font name in the search field will create a temporary filter, e.g. typing "Arial" will find all versions of Arial in your font library in a few milliseconds.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
ery23899

Post by ery23899 »

I am just experimenting with MainType for the first time.

Are you suggesting here that you removed the Browse tab you mention in Tutorials, etc.!? This is an oversight. It is great to have non-destructive groups but I do want my fonts to be organized into folders on the drive. And I do not want to have those complicated and historical folders to be duplicated as groups on import. I really need to be able to browse both independently.

Please advise. Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

ery23899 wrote:This is an oversight.
No. It was intentional. Users do not need to concern themselves with organising fonts into folders, though they can still do so if they wish. A database lets you find fonts instantly without caring where they are on the hard drive.

Why waste your time doing tedious and pointless tasks?

Finding Fonts is very fast and could not be simpler — just start typing the name in the search field at the top right. I admit that it takes a while to adjust your mind set, but it is so much more efficient.

If you don't want to adjust, then just continue using MainType 3. Rather you than me!
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
ery23899

Post by ery23899 »

Thank you for the reply. My first impression of your software is very positive and I've been tempted to purchase it for our organization, however the issue I raise is an important one to us.

By the way, we are "the uses". And are unable to make our own judgement on what we find convenient.

Let me say that I know and appreciate the advantages of a database. I do not need to be persuaded as we run our own databases for content management, etc.

However, we have a collection of many thousands of fonts. They come from many sources and are (largely) organized by source (CD, foundry, etc.). This organization is important because providers issue updates that need to be integrated into the collection, organization by authorship enables easier conversations with providers when negotiating discounts, etc., etc. We need to be able to find the original collections in this way. It is also often useful to be able to look at the full database in this way when designing because ideas on which fonts to use often come from browsing and reflection, not from purposeful searching of the already known. If you need an argument on why constant re-browsing of the original sources is at the core of the creative process, have a look at this book on movie editing (easy to provide other examples too): http://www.amazon.com/Blink-Eye-Revised ... 1879505622

In our case this is especially true because any one user will only know 1% of our fonts by name (or any other characteristic). We would not need a manager if we had 500 fonts.

I see that we can replicate the folder structure on import. However, it will not update when we shall make the necessary updates on the hard drive. So, it is not sufficient.

In fact, direct access to the original file structure is so important to us that we cannot commit to a program that does not support it. And instead of reverting to v3 (this is a very negative comment to a potential new user), we can just stay with the manager we are using now.

Best wishes...
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The software is not mine — I am also a user. If you prefer a slow way, that's your choice. I think you can find a solution to all of your needs with MT4. Updating the font groups may take more than a few minutes with tens of thousands of fonts, but its not difficult. Newly added fonts can be filtered, and dragged and dropped to the already created groups. You can still organise your fonts in folders on the hard drive as you like, and move them around. Once added to the vault, fonts are always available for use.
ery23899

Post by ery23899 »

Thanks. Sorry, presumed you were a company representative.

I see now that creating groups from folders is pretty quick. So, I guess they can just be recreated every time the disk folders change. This might work...

And are you saying I can move fonts freely within linked folders and all associations will remain? Group memberships, etc.?