How do I replace a font in the database with a newer version

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
cerulean

How do I replace a font in the database with a newer version

Post by cerulean »

If I have a family of fonts in my database, and I want to update that family to a newer version of the fonts, how do I do that?

Reading the post here it seems that if I delete the old versions any new versions I try to add are ignored (why??). And I don't want two versions of the same font family in my database.

So what's the solution?
cerulean

Delete the database without uninstalling MainType?

Post by cerulean »

My last question went unanswered, so I have to conclude the only way to modify the database is to delete it and recreate it. Is it possible to do this without having to uninstall and reinstall the whole application?

I think the bottom line here is...
MainType 4 uses a database to manage font files, fine, great. But there is no facility to manage that database, so it ends up being a real frustration. I'd like to hear if this is going to be addressed in the next release.
Thanks.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged threads
León Fridsma

Re: How do I replace a font in the database with a newer ver

Post by León Fridsma »

Hi cerulean,

When you add the new family to MainType, you can safely delete the older version(s). When you delete a font from MainType and also choose to ignore it, it will only ignore exactly that one and not the entire family or other (future) versions.

León
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

What happens when you are creating new fonts and installing new versions of those fonts. In order to only have the new version, you have to constantly ignore the old one. The list of ignored fonts gets rather lengthly. Is there a way to clear the list? That is, delete the ignored fonts permanently and forget they existed and were ever ignored?
dangermoose

Post by dangermoose »

Funny, I was wondering exactly the same thing about 'Ignored fonts'...
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No that is not possible yet.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology