Disable missing glyph substitution? [Closed]

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
bogdgan

Disable missing glyph substitution? [Closed]

Post by bogdgan »

Hello,

This is my first post, I've registered because I was planning to but MainType but I noticed a problem that for me is a dealbreaker.
I am addressing this question to the developers of MainType or maybe to the more experienced users, hoping a solution can be found.
Many thenks in advance for your help.

Preamble:
In windows 7 (for example in notepad) when a font does not include a certain glyph (character), but the text in the window require that character to be displayed, the missing character it is displayed using the glyphs from a different font (usually MS Sans Serif).
For example, the Agency FB does not include the character Ǽ (unicode 0x01FC). If one types this character in notepad, while font selected in Notepad's options is Agency FB, the characters will be displayed using the corresponding glyp in MS Sans Serif. (On the contrary, in wordpad a rectangle will be displayed).

This is a pretty nice "fall back behavior", meant to offer some readable text for the regular/novice user, but -in my opinion- we should not see this kind of behaviour in a software meant for the more experienced / advanced / font hobbist user.

The problem:
I was looking for some time for a type manager that would help me to quickly find fonts that look nice AND have the glyphs I need.
It seemed to me (about an year ago) that an older MainType version (I've tried a demo) was what I needed. I THINK I remener the older MainType I've testes was displaying a rectangle for the missing glyphs. That helped me easily notice if the required glyphs were not present.
I was prepared to buy the current version, but installing the trial version I was stunned to see the same behaviour seen in notepad can (now) be seen in MainType.

The Questions:
1. All the users experience the same behaviour? I find it so hard to believe that this behaviour is by design that I even think maybe my PC has a problem. I mean, come on, nobody noticed this until now?
2. Even if windows 7 treats fonts in a special way, I doubt this substition takes place system-wide. Wordpad is perfectly able NOT to display the missing characters.
3. Is there something I can do to force MainType display the good old blank or rectangles for the missing characters?

Again, thank you in advance for your thoughs.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Disable missing glyph substitution?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I see the fallback behaviour in the Samples pane, but you can use the Zoom pane to check if the selected font contains the glyph that you're looking for. If it exists it will be shown:
AE Guru.png
AE Guru.png (11.88 KiB) Viewed 12604 times
With some fonts, its fairly obvious that the fallback font is being used, though its not always as easy to spot in the Samples pane as it is with this one. In the Zoom pane, it is obvious that Vivian does not contain the AE acute glyph.
AE Vivian.png
AE Vivian.png (10.82 KiB) Viewed 12604 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
bogdgan

Post by bogdgan »

Indeed, that is the problem I'm confronting with.
Unfortunately, the zoom pane (and character list), are only good to check one font at a time, - they work only for the selected font in the font list.

The font list, on the other hand, displays multiple fonts in the same pane and if you define the Preview Text in Options as {Font_Name} Ǽ sșSȘtțTȚ you can easily spot the fonts that do not support (for example) Latin Extened B.
For some fonts indeed it's easy to notice the fallback behaviour, but for others it's considerably harder.

So - can actually something be done to prevent this? I was hoping an option could exists to disable this.

Anyway, Maintype is a nice piece of software even if behaves like this (but also free software exists with almost the same features - I was expecting to find something extra here).
Actually after hours of searching the net, I've found an application that can do a search for fonts containing a certain glyph:
http://mihai-nita.net/2007/09/08/charma ... acter-map/
Unfurtunatelly the results list following the search does not preview the fonts.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Would this do the trick:
missingchars.png
missingchars.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 12595 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
bogdgan

Post by bogdgan »

@Erwin Denissen

Yes! :D
So... is it possible then?
How did you do it?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It is an experimental part of the upcoming release, but I'm not sure if and how it will be included. Our main concern is network support and plugins, but we try to add some other enhancements if appreciated :wink:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We will most likely add it as shown in the screenshot.
missingchars2.png
missingchars2.png (44.48 KiB) Viewed 12566 times
bogdgan wrote:The problem:
I was looking for some time for a type manager that would help me to quickly find fonts that look nice AND have the glyphs I need.
You see Arte Country is shown in black. It does contain all characters, but the Ǽ character is an empty glyph. For now this is the best we can do. Fortunately this is exactly what you requested :wink:

Can we welcome you as a new customer now?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
bogdgan

Post by bogdgan »

Sorry for the trouble, I've found a much more convenient solution - since I'm already dual booting, I've checked how does XP behave... and guess what? There is no font fallback. I can use any type manager/ font viewer (actually this is the only thing I needed - a font viewer, 'cos I don't use collections or other features) and it does the job.
So I was wrong - a few months (years? I don't remember) when I was so sure I had seen no font fallback, that was because I was still using Windows XP.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I see. Thanks for letting us know, and don't forget us when you decide to stop using Windows XP.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Nevertheless I'd like to see this feature in the next version. ;)

Cheers,
Jan
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Jan, I'll send you a message with a link to the upcoming MainType 4.5.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Great, thank you very much, Erwin! I received you mail, and I'll give it a try as soon as I find some time.

Cheers,
Jan
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This feature is now available, as we've just released MainType 4.5.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology