Font Integrity

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
chaztips

Font Integrity

Post by chaztips »

Now that I have finally compiled my font collection, I am switching from the bulldozer (MT 2) to the property manager (MT 5). I notice perhaps a third of my files have font integrity issues, usually multiple when they occur, that show up in that panel. The manual indicates such problems may hamper font usage but also indicates that correcting the problem is the job of the font creator.

1. Is that a dodge to possible copyright issues? I ask because fixing problems that may hamper usage of something I have a license in is no violation of copyright, unless you know case law in the US that would indicate otherwise.

2. Are all such problems fixable with FC? It would look like the very occasional issue with, for example, ascender and descender metrics is for sure. But the searchRange, rangeShift and checksum type of issues look like they may require a tool like VOLT. Advice?

3. Are there classes of such issues that can be safely ignored?

4. Do you have or know a source for guidance in tackling such issues?
Erwin Denissen

Re: Font Integrity

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Sorry for my late reply. I missed your post, and I'm glad you kindly reminded me by email.
chaztips wrote:Now that I have finally compiled my font collection, I am switching from the bulldozer (MT 2) to the property manager (MT 5).
Excellent choice!
chaztips wrote:I notice perhaps a third of my files have font integrity issues, usually multiple when they occur, that show up in that panel. The manual indicates such problems may hamper font usage but also indicates that correcting the problem is the job of the font creator.

1. Is that a dodge to possible copyright issues? I ask because fixing problems that may hamper usage of something I have a license in is no violation of copyright, unless you know case law in the US that would indicate otherwise.
If your font license permits you to modify the font, then I think you're good to go. But if the font works fine on your system, it might be better to ignore the issues.
chaztips wrote:2. Are all such problems fixable with FC? It would look like the very occasional issue with, for example, ascender and descender metrics is for sure. But the searchRange, rangeShift and checksum type of issues look like they may require a tool like VOLT. Advice?
Some issues can easily be fixed with FontCreator, sometime even by just opening and saving a font file. Under certain circumstances you might solve some issues but can generate other issues. For example OpenType layout features will become out of sync if you add or remove glyphs, or change the order of the glyphs (sorting them).
chaztips wrote:3. Are there classes of such issues that can be safely ignored?
In general you can ignore all as long as you can successfully use the font.
chaztips wrote:4. Do you have or know a source for guidance in tackling such issues?
No not really, but feel free to start a topic here. I'll try to respond a little faster ;-)
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology