Issue with adding new fonts to 'Group' folders

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
damionm

Issue with adding new fonts to 'Group' folders

Post by damionm »

Hello, I'm slowly but surely trying to get use to this new database driven method of maintaining, indexing and browsing for fonts in MainType, so please bear with me if this question has been answered. I think I may be expecting the software to do things that it's just not capable of doing yet. For example, I've figured out how to add my rather complex font folder archive and structure that lists all 87,000+ fonts (currently) created with sub-folders by font type, font letter, then volume no., but I've noticed that when I add new fonts to my actual sub-folders and refresh the main folder in MainType, the font is found, and added to the database, but not by or in the group folder that I added it to. It also doesn't show up in the Groups panel. I can only find it using the Quick Search, and even then the group still shows as "none" in the Font Information panel. So why is this?, and will there ever be an 'auto-refresh' feature for the font database that eliminates the need to have to refresh a folder every time new fonts or font folders are added? Perhaps an option that could be selected to make the database update Groups in real-time? Thank-you.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Issue with adding new fonts to 'Group' folders

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What I do is sort my "Recently Added" fonts by date added, and drag them to the appropriate group.

I don't know if there's a better solution.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
damionm

Post by damionm »

Yeah, I had a feeling it would be something I'd manually have to do, and well that kinda takes some of the feasibility out of having a database in the first place, or rather it just seems like the auto-syncing or auto-updating would be an obvious feature to include and have, but that's just my opinion. I only hope and pray we see something like this added in the next version or an update.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

damionm wrote:Yeah, I had a feeling it would be something I'd manually have to do, and well that kinda takes some of the feasibility out of having a database in the first place, or rather it just seems like the auto-syncing or auto-updating would be an obvious feature to include and have, but that's just my opinion. I only hope and pray we see something like this added in the next version or an update.
The whole point of having a database is that you don't need to organise your fonts into folders. The feature is there for the comfort of users upgrading from earlier versions, but its much quicker to use the Quick search field to find a font than it is trawling through folders, trying to remember where you put a font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can also recreate the groups structure after refreshing the font folder.
creategroups.png
creategroups.png (58.58 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
Note: it will not replace your current groups, so in this case it is probably best to delete the former groups.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

Erwin Denissen wrote:You can also recreate the groups structure after refreshing the font folder.
creategroups.png
Note: it will not replace your current groups, so in this case it is probably best to delete the former groups.
It really didn't occur to me that I could right click the items in that list.
I assume that the "create group from path" must be a very popular feature for anyone with a font library in a folder structure.
You may want to provide alternate (more obvious) way to access this feature.
Thank you.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'll see if we can make it more prominent.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology