Import font groups from my old computer

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
missjax1

Import font groups from my old computer

Post by missjax1 »

Please help - I just got a new computer and am working on getting all of my praograms and files onto it. I have some work I need to do, and I am lost without my font groups. Can someone please tell me how I can import them to the new computer? I figured it out once, but I can't remember what i did :(
thanks in advance!
Jacki
Erwin Denissen

Re: Import font groups from my old computer

Post by Erwin Denissen »

With MainType 4 and 5 you can make a backup on your old computer and restore it in your new pc. Use FmsConfig which comes with MainType.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
missjax1

Post by missjax1 »

Erwin Denissen wrote:With MainType 4 and 5 you can make a backup on your old computer and restore it in your new pc. Use FmsConfig which comes with MainType.
I am not having any luck figuring this out. Can you please give me quick steps to do this?
I have the backup export.. i just don't know how to import it to this computer
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Creating a backup will create a folder named "fmsbackup<date>" wherever you choose to save it.

The folder contains two subfolders: vault and data.

Copy the folder to your new PC.

Run Fmsconfigure.exe on your new PC, stop the Font Service if it is running, then restore the backup.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
ocean_jasper

Post by ocean_jasper »

To save the next person a bit of frustration ... the "High-Logic FMSConfig" is a separate program from Maintype, so don't bother trying to find it on your Maintype menus. You can find it in the start menu of your PC.

To make a backup, first close Maintype, and also close the "Font Service" (by pressing the "stop" button on the main panel of the FMSConfig utility). Then you can make your backup, and save it into a new folder of your choosing.

I haven't tried restoring to see if it works, but I'm hopeful!! I lost all my fonts & font groups when my last computer was taken from my car ... they're not backed up by most backup utilities (e.g. Carbonite)!!
sam tosha

Post by sam tosha »

I'm using Maintype 2 and just upgraded to 6. I also need to import my Font Groups created in version 2.

Can't find FMSConfig however. Trying to start the program through start/run results in an error message.

- Did version 2 came with FMSConfig or not?

- Is it correct that version 6 doesn't enable to set the group folder in the option menu?

- Is there a way to make a new group folder and set it to a specific (existing) one? Or how do I work this / How can I load my project font groups in 6?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

sam tosha wrote:- Did version 2 came with FMSConfig or not?
If I remember rightly MainType 4.0 was the first version to introduce the database model with the Fonts Vault and FMSConfig.

Read the help file on how to create groups from existing folders.

Building the font database may take a few minutes (or longer of you have tens of thousands of fonts).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486