Font Source Folder Column

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
melvin3082

Font Source Folder Column

Post by melvin3082 »

I like to keep my fonts in folders that indicate their source. When importing fonts (from multiple folders), is there a way to add the originating folder in one of the columns, like state, preview, family,style, etc.?
thanks, mel
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font Source Folder Column

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The way to go is to let MainType create Font Groups from your folders.

The way that MainType works, though, makes the use of folders a bit redundant. It creates a database of all fonts and the various views are just filters of that database.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
melvin3082

Post by melvin3082 »

Bhikkhu,
Thank you for your response....
This really will not work for the folders (some purchased, some free) since I have 'mixed' font groups within. I was hoping that, for example, the 'Foundry' (which I do not use) column could serve that purpose. I presume there is no way to edit that column externally.
Mel
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The font's foundry is not editable. The only practical way is to use the Rating columns to identify your fonts in some fashion to suit your purposes, e.g.
  • Purchased fonts = five stars
  • Windows fonts = 4 stars
  • Home made fonts = 3 stars
  • Good Free fonts 2 stars
  • Rubbish free fonts 1 star
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

One thing that is very high on out to-do list is font tagging, which allows you to specify one or more tags to a font. Tags can be anything e.g. Cars, Cartoon, Serif, Free, Funny.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology