Maintype won't start

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
tevert

Maintype won't start

Post by tevert »

Due to the impossible problem with font groups and font sharing in the later versions of MainType (see: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3599) we're running MainType 2.1.1.

It's been working fine. But today on one of our machines it won't start. I get the UAC dialog. And that's it. No processes show up in task manager. No error message. Nothing.

I've reinstalled. That didn't help.
Rebooted. That didn't help.
I've uninstalled rebooted. And then installed. Rebooted. Same problem.

What are the next steps to get this back up and running? We are using this in a production environment, so time is of the essence.

Thanks,

Tony
Erwin Denissen

Re: Maintype won't start

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm not familair with this problem, but back then when we developed version 2 only Windows 95/98, XP and Windows Vista where supported. After seven years of updates of Windows I'm not sure everything is still compatible.

What version of Windows are you running?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
tevert

Post by tevert »

Windows 7 x64. It's running on 5 Windows 7 x64 machines here without any compatibility issues. It was running fine on this machine until this morning. Just quit working without warning.

Are there logs or verbose/debug startup or events to check or anything to get an idea what's going on?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm afraid that version has no such debug information, but I suspect the anti-crack protection mechanism is in conflict with your system. It either crashes due to a new dll, anti-virus software or a registry monitor it detects is running.

If you've recently installed or updated other software, that might be the conflict.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
tevert

Post by tevert »

Wow. :| We needed to install, "Mirekusoft Install Monitor" in order to debug a completely unrelated program from another vendor that was not installing/uninstalling correctly.

Given the clue you gave in the previous post I temporarily uninstalled it, and MainType started normally as before.

Do you have a replacement .dll that you could send me that would fix the problem with MainType 2.1.1 that would allow it to boot while we troubleshoot this other issue? Given that this is a legitimate use our install monitor software, I'm rather displeased that MainType is designed to self-destruct simply because another legitimate program is installed out of necessity.

It's one thing to prevent piracy if you could, but the pirates have not been stopped and will never be stopped (just google for the crack), while your paying customers have been prevented from using what they paid for. Something is horribly wrong when the pirates continue on as always unfazed while the paying customers are inconvenienced and loose, don't you think?

Thanks,

Tony
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm glad you've managed to find the reason why this happened.

You must understand we no longer develop or maintain that version, but the more recent versions no longer have anti-crack shields. The illegal copies of our software that I've seen all contain Malware or Viruses, but somehow people don't care. I'm glad you are an honest person, so I hope when we release a new version of MainType it will again suit your needs.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
tevert

Post by tevert »

Thanks, I hope so too--this issue of having 5 different people all working on the same publications needing the same fonts doesn't seem like too unusual of a situation to make provision for.

MainType 2.1.1 has worked due to the fact that it's disk based and so shortcuts, symbolic links, file synchronization software, and other techniques are all options and work well for us with v2 MainType. I actually purchased a multi-user upgrade to MainType 4 and was sorely disappointed that we could not use it.

I too hope that we'll find the needed features so that we can make use of a future up-to-date version of MainType!

Tony