Necessary Vault Files?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
pixeldroid

Necessary Vault Files?

Post by pixeldroid »

Hello:
I upgraded to MT 5.1 in August.
I've noticed that there are 4 large MT vault files, and 2 of them are a couple of years old.

The files are:
C:\ProgramData\High-Logic FontService\vault\vault000.vlt - 1GB - 1/28/2012
C:\ProgramData\High-Logic FontService\vault\vault001.vlt - 512MB - 9/12/14
C:\Users\All Users\High-Logic FontService\vault\vault000.vlt - 1GB - 1/28/2012
C:\Users\All Users\High-Logic FontService\vault\vault001.vlt - 512MB - 9/12/14

Please let me know if I can delete some of these files.
Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Necessary Vault Files?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The vault files are required by MainType. You can use the FMS Configeration utility to move them to a different partition.

The easiest way to clean up I find is to uninstall, deleting all data files when asked if you wish to, then reinstall and let MainType rebuild your fonts database.

If you prefer to wait for a reply from someone who knows MainType better than I do, they might be able to tell you more. I suspect that you have some old vault files for an earlier version of MainType or a backup copy of the Fonts database.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
León Fridsma

Post by León Fridsma »

Do NOT delete those vault files, they contain your fonts!

The reason that they are so "old" is because that once they reach a certain threshold (1GB) they are finalized and a new file is created. If you want to move them to a different drive or partition, use the FMSConfig tool.

You're probably seeing the files double, because it's the exact same folder, accessed through a so called symlink. They are on your disk only once (unless you made backups somewhere)
pixeldroid

Post by pixeldroid »

Thanks.