move font out of windows folder

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
njwff

move font out of windows folder

Post by njwff »

I have done quite a bit of searching this forum, but I can't find an answer to my question which is how do you move fonts out of the windows font folder?

I have quite a few fonts folders which I have attached to MT.

Some of these folders have font files that are duplicate to the ones in the windows folder.

I would like there to be a shortcut in the windows folder to the font file in my other folder rather than the font file being in the windows font folder (to save space on the c: drive)

I have tried uninstalling the font and then reinstalling but it copied the font file back into the windows font folder rather than making a shortcut to the font file in my other folder.

I have tried deleting all copies of the font file from the disk and then exporting the font file to my other folder and then doing the install, but it still copies the file to the windows font folder, instead of making a shortcut

The whole point (for me) of using MT is to keep the font files out of the windows folder and as third party programs insist on installing their fonts into the windows font folder, I need a way of movingthem out.

Thanks for your help.
Erwin Denissen

Re: move font out of windows folder

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MainType always installs fonts into Windows fonts folder.

If you move the vault to another drive, you will save more space on your c drive. You can move it through the FmsConfig utility that comes with MainType.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
njwff

Post by njwff »

Thanks so much for your reply. (sorry for delay in responding but I failed to get the notification).

I was under the impression that MainType installed a "shortcut" into the windows font folder to the actual font file in it's original location. Is it not possible to force it to do this?

Yes I had already move the vault off the C: drive
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

njwff wrote:Thanks so much for your reply. (sorry for delay in responding but I failed to get the notification).
Edit your Notification Settings in your User Control Panel.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486