Question about Accordion Menus

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
pixeldroid

Question about Accordion Menus

Post by pixeldroid »

In MT 6.0.0, when I choose to view "Active Fonts", in the main font viewing window, some of the fonts are listed under accordion sections:
Installable
Print and Preview
Print and Preview, No subsetting
Restricted License

When I view a font in "Installable", it is already installed.
What is the purpose of these sections and what causes the fonts to categorized into them?
Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Question about Accordion Menus

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See here about Embedding and Licensing Rights

It has nothing to do with whether the font is currently installed on your computer, it is about permissions for others to embed or install fonts on opening PDF files or other files that have the fonts embedded in them. If fonts are “protected” they cannot be embedded in documents, so are unsuitable for sharing documents with others. MainType advises you which fonts are protected, and therefore best avoided.

In WebPlus X8, we can now embed any font on a web page, as long as the “Installable” or “Embeddable” flag is set in the font. Internet Explorer insists on the flag being set to "Installable" before it will display a font embedded on a web page.

You should be able to see the Chess Symbols in my Mandala font even though you don't have it installed, because it is embedded on this web page. The font's embedding rights are set to installable.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pixeldroid

Post by pixeldroid »

My question is not clear...
I have a font installed in my system called Candy Rnd BTN.
When I have "Archive Fonts" selected and I am reviewing a phrase, I don't see the "Candy" version unless I scroll to the bottom of the preview window and look in the "Print and Preview" section of the UI. I would expect it to show up in main part of the interface - I wouldn't know it was there if I didn't specifically scroll to the bottom of the UI and open the "Print & Preview" accordion.
My question is: What causes the "Candy" font to be viewed in the "Print & Preview" section rather than the top section with the majority of the fonts?
Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

pixeldroid wrote:I don't see the "Candy" version unless I scroll to the bottom of the preview window and look in the "Print and Preview" section of the UI. I would expect it to show up in main part of the interface - I wouldn't know it was there if I didn't specifically scroll to the bottom of the UI and open the "Print & Preview" accordion.
That is because the font has Print and Preview embedding licensing rights. It doesn't belong in the other categories.

You must have organised your fonts by embedding rights using the dropdown. I have further filtered my fonts using the Quick Search field to limit the list to fonts including the text string "Can" in the screen shot below so that you can seen what the reason is.
Candy Round BTN.png
Candy Round BTN.png (42.07 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pixeldroid

Post by pixeldroid »

That helps a lot.
Thanks very much (and on Sunday no less!)