Windows Font Cache Service and MainType

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
suechastain

Windows Font Cache Service and MainType

Post by suechastain »

Hello,

I have been having a problem on my Windows 10 system for a while that I just managed to track down today. I'm not sure it has anything to do with MainType, but I think it could be connected because the problem began about the time I installed MT.

The problem was that certain taskbar items were not displaying as they should. I refer to the calendar a lot, and clicking on the date/time area of the taskbar stopped showing the calendar. Also, the start menu no longer popped up when I clicked on the start icon. And clicking for the calculator would open a window with a gray background and a calculator icon for a few seconds and then close.

After going through diagnostic startup and eliminating services one at a time until the problem was resolved, I tracked it down to having "Windows Font Cache Service" enabled. I now have it disabled and my taskbar is working as it used to.

Microsoft says:
Optimizes performance of applications by caching commonly used font data. Applications will start this service if it is not already running. It can be disabled, though doing so will degrade application performance.
So my question is whether there is a conflict between MainType and Windows Font Cache Service. Any insight as to the consequences of keeping it disabled would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sue