Updating

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
albeter

Updating

Post by albeter »

I have MT Standard v 7.0.0 build 1012 installed on a PC that does not have an internet connection.
1. How can I check whether I have the most current version? Using the "Check for Updates" feature in the Help menu does not work since I have no internet connection.
2. I noticed in one of the Forum posts a mention of v 7.0.0.1029, so I presume I may not have the most current version.
3. Is there a web site that I can check that has the most current version from which I can download a file?
4. Is there a change log that describes the various changes from version to version? I found web page for version history, but it shows v 7.0.0.1012 as its most current, and I am wondering if that is outdated.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Updating

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The version 1029 in in this linked thread can be downloaded from the link in that thread, but it was never officially released.

The Release History page is apparently out of date as I have build 1026.

If you visit the MainType Download Page from a friend's house you can always download the latest version, which is build 1012, dated 4th July 2016.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
albeter

Post by albeter »

Bhikkhu: How did you come by build 1026? Did you get that version by using the "Check for Updates" feature in the Help menu, or by some other means?

Would others please check and report back as to what version they are running and how they obtained?

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The download links in the linked thread are still active if you want to update, but you don't need to, otherwise it would have been made available through the official update channel.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
albeter

Post by albeter »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The download links in the linked thread are still active if you want to update, but you don't need to, otherwise it would have been made available through the official update channel.
You did not answer the question Bhikkhu.

How did you obtain build 1026?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala is a beta tester, so he has access to unpublished updates. This allows us to develop new features, which are tested before we release them to the public.

We have a pending update (version 7.0.0.1032) which we most likely release later today.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've just released update 7.0.0.1032.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
albeter

Post by albeter »

I found the Release History page does show the new release.

However, when I access the MainType Download Page, the file that is downloaded is named "MainTypeSetup.exe" and when displaying its file properties, Details tab, it states it is "File version 7.0.0.0" .
File Properties.jpg
File Properties.jpg (23.74 KiB) Viewed 9149 times
However, after installing the file, the About... window on the Help Menu tab, indicates "v 7.0.0 build 1032" is installed.

It would be very helpful if the File version number in the Properties box would correspond to the correct version number, or better yet that the file name downloaded would reflect the version number in the file name (e.g., "MainTypeSetup7.0.0.1032.exe")
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

albeter wrote:It would be very helpful if the File version number in the Properties box would correspond to the correct version number, or better yet that the file name downloaded would reflect the version number in the file name (e.g., "MainTypeSetup7.0.0.1032.exe"
Changing the download filename from MainTypeSetup.exe is a very bad idea. It would make a lot of totally unnecessary work updating download links in multiple sites, and inevitably some would break. Feel free to rename the setup file in Windows Explorer to whatever you wish.
MainType Setup.png
MainType Setup.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 9147 times
As for the filename in Properties Details, I don't think many people would notice, but there would be a small benefit in identifying the file if it has been renamed, or renamed incorrectly.
albeter

Post by albeter »

In an other post on Wed May 17, 2017 10:07 am (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7183)
Bhikkhu Pesala states
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: The current version is 7.0 build 1038. Check in Help, About, and Check for Updates.
However, the file downloaded from the MainType Download Page is still v 7.0.0.1032 (as verified by performing a checksum), and the Release History page still shows the newest release as being version 7.0.0.1032 [March 29, 2017].

So if the latest published release is build 1038, why is it not reflected in the Release History page and made available for direct download.

The PC I have MT installed on does not have internet connection, so I cannot use the update feature within the application to check for updates, and must rely on being able to download from the web site.

It would certainly be very helpful if the Release History page and the MainType Download Page were consistent with the version available from the Update feature. Furthermore, as I stated earlier, it would be very helpful if the downloaded file is properly identified as to version either by file name, or by the File version number in the Properties box.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

albeter wrote:So if the latest published release is build 1038, why is it not reflected in the Release History page and made available for direct download.
As mentioned above, I am a Beta Tester, so version 1038 apparently has not been publicly released yet. Erwin will usually send download links to anyone requesting it due to a particular problem.

I have amended my previous post to avoid any confusion.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

albeter wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:59 am I found the Release History page does show the new release.

However, when I access the MainType Download Page, the file that is downloaded is named "MainTypeSetup.exe" and when displaying its file properties, Details tab, it states it is "File version 7.0.0.0" . File Properties.jpg

However, after installing the file, the About... window on the Help Menu tab, indicates "v 7.0.0 build 1032" is installed.

It would be very helpful if the File version number in the Properties box would correspond to the correct version number, or better yet that the file name downloaded would reflect the version number in the file name (e.g., "MainTypeSetup7.0.0.1032.exe")
Future releases will contain the actual version number in the setup file.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology