Syncing/sharing groups

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
cpking

Syncing/sharing groups

Post by cpking »

I'm sure this has been discussed, but searching didn't yield me any results.

I have a small virtual team of people who share a repository of fonts on a cloud folder (dropbox). This has worked well for us in terms of ensuring each team member has access to the fonts needed for a given project. The problem comes from the fact that we have thousands of fonts, generally categorized by name (i.e., folders named A, B, C, etc.). So Adobe Garamond lives in the G folder.

I make use of groups for projects so that those fonts can be easily installed/uninstalled. This is useful when testing fonts for project mockups as well. Currently, I'm emailing the team with updates to the groups. For example, "Team: please add Adobe Garamond to Project X on your system." This is obviously inefficient.

Is there a way to share the database, or share the group information such that it will sync across computers, or easily share the "list" of fonts in a group for import on another system?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Syncing/sharing groups

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I cannot think of any method that would be more efficient. You can backup and restore the database, but I suspect that that would take much longer. It might be OK for once a month to make sure your team are in sync and backing up your database is something that is recommended in any case, but for daily changes what you're doing seems easier.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486