Auto assign font tags

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
StarkZ

Auto assign font tags

Post by StarkZ »

Hello, apologies if this is not the correct place to ask this. I just came across MainType after using Suitcase for years. It looks very interesting. I like the customization options. But before I purchase I just wanted to ask about tagging fonts. I need to be able to search through my fonts by "serif", "sans" or "slab". But the only way I see how to do that here is through tags? This is fine, but is there a way to automatically assign these tags to my library? I have over 14k fonts and it would take me years to do this by hand. I assumed each font file would have that metadata embedded within the file?
Thanks for your help.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Auto assign font tags

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can try the Free Version to see what it can do before purchasing the license that you would need to manage a large library of fonts.

There is currently no way to sort fonts by PANOSE information, but several ways of filtering fonts by style, weight, etc.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
StarkZ

Post by StarkZ »

Hello, thank you for the fast reply. I have downloaded the free version and have been playing with it for a while. I quite like it, once I customized the interface I have it set up how I like. It feels quite fast and intuitive. But, unfortunately, yes, I would want to sort by Panose. Shame this isn't an option, as I would buy it straight away if so.
I came across a thread on here from 2009 talking about how it might come out on the next version. Has there been any more advances since then? Is there any reason why this isn't an option?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I fixed the broken link in my earlier reply.

Erwin replied to that thread, stating the reasons why it did not make it into MainType yet.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
StarkZ

Post by StarkZ »

Interesting, but it did show me that FontExpert does use Panose sorting. I have just tried it out and it does everything I want. I'll purchase that instead.
Thanks for your help!