Individually appereance in fontmenu

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Glyphman

Individually appereance in fontmenu

Post by Glyphman »

Hi... just started to use MainType and I'm thrilled compared to the manager I used before. Just one strange thing happend?? I started to import fonts from font folders, then I did some "Groups" and drag fonts from the main fontdisplay to the groups I wanted them. Installed and activated.
Then opened a webproject that I'm working with and the fonts appeared individually in fonts menu... Perfect, just what I want, because when applying "@font-face fonts" it must work this way. Saved and closed the webeditor. Turned off the pc and good night.
Today turned on... checked "MainType", the fonts in the webprojects group was activated/installed, so far so good. Started up the webeditor software and checked the fontmenu, surpriced, now the fonts were merged to just view the "Aller Regular" webfont and must use the controls for setting italic, bold and bold italic... In my designsoftwares this is ok. But because of the programming it must be the other way in this software.
Is this something you can correct in "MainType"?? I have asked in the forum for the websoftware, but they don't understand...

Hope I got it undertandable :)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Individually appereance in fontmenu

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In MainType, you can toggle Family Grouping. Otherwise, each style in the font family will be displayed.
Family Grouping.png
Family Grouping.png (16.71 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Hi Bhikkhu Pesala, thanks for your reply. Yes that's a good function in "MainType". But I must have the font familyappear with individual fontnames in the menu of my websoftware. Wondered if it was possible to manage this from "MainType"
Otherwise I probably will be forced to rename every font in the family so they all will have a different familyname to... ex:
fontname: regular
familyname: Aller Regular

fontname: regular_italic
familyname: Aller Italic

fontname: bold
familyname: Aller bold

fontname: bold_italic
familyname: Aller Bold Italic
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is not something you can change in MainType. FontCreator would allow you to rename each style to a unique family ID.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Thanks Bhikkhu. But my question maybee was unclear... I wondered if there was any function in "MT" that can manage how the fonts appear in the other softwares menus... To do that renaming I have tools for so that is not a problem, just explained what I have to do if I can't work something out within "MT".
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't know how much more plainly I can state it

Most software groups fonts in menus based on the Font Family name. MainType cannot change the Font Family name, but FontCreator can (as can other software).