Change name for the main fonts folders

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Glyphman

Change name for the main fonts folders

Post by Glyphman »

Hi, since it takes a long time to open my 2 biggest main fonts folders (Librarys), I must reorganize this into smaller separate librarys. This regards the folders 1 and 2 if you look att the screenshot. My intention is to split the biggest "OTF CFF fonts" 8.118 fonts in to 4 smaller libs and the "TT fonts 5.356 fonts into 2 smaller libs.
The time to read in this folders at the moment:
OTF CFF fonts = 34 seconds
TT fonts = 23 seconds
OTF TTF fonts = 3 seconds (no problem) :D

Because I have done a very big (time consuming) work to Tag all fonts and sorted to groups etc... Will I loose all this information, or is there a way to keep this if doing the attemted operation?
I really like the way I have it organized now and would rather have a way for just speed up the Reading (rendering)... for sure a 64 bit version of the software will help a bit :D

Erwin Denissen

Re: Change name for the main fonts folders

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The tags are stored in the database and it is stored along with the font id, so it doesn't matter where the fonts are.

Since you've spent quite some time tagging your fonts, I kindly remind you to make a backup through FmsConfig once in a while.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Thanks Erwin, and yes... I'm making backup regularly and specific when done changes and updates in Main Type. Using the backup function for transferring same regiter between my 3 units that I use for same projects...
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Just a following up... when it comes to the "Groups" does it store this links the same way? Or must I recreate the groups with new linking?
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Just wonder... after renaming and making more fonts folders, must create all font groups once again??
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MainType 7 has support for two kind of groups. Both have there own benefits:

Virtual Groups
Virtual groups will not affect any fonts or folders on your system. This allows you to put the same font in multiple groups without taking up any additional disk space. If you don't care about the exact file location of your fonts, then virtual groups are the recommended way to manage your fonts in MainType.

Keep in Sync Groups
Keep in sync groups are special groups that represent a folder structure on the file system. These types of groups can't be moved, deleted or renamed from within MainType. To perform these types of operation use your File Explorer and synchronize the root folder in MainType. Adding fonts to such groups will actually copy them into the corresponding folder on your computer.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology