MainType not finding new fonts

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
BlackUmbrellaGirl

MainType not finding new fonts

Post by BlackUmbrellaGirl »

My install of MainType has been failing to find new fonts in its specified directories for months; first version 6, then, when I upgraded in the hopes that that would fix it, version 7. It will recognize new fonts if I install them via the Windows font manager, but if I wanted to use that, I would :)

I've tried stopping and re-starting the font service, as well as backing up and restoring the fonts, twice. I've tried changing my directory structure; specifying subfolders rather than relying on the "recursive" option; and changing folders from manual to automatic and back again.

I'm thoroughly frustrated, and would greatly appreciate some insight!
Glyphman

Re: MainType not finding new fonts

Post by Glyphman »

Hi BUG, good if you tell how you trying to install the fonts. I installed some fonts yesterday and worked fine. I do not use recursively because I have all the fonts directly in main folders. I simply copy my fonts to the "Font folder" that it belongs to. I have 3 main Font folders that contains all fonts.
When restarting "Main Type" the fonts directly indexes that you can see in the message window down in the right corner.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

BlackUmbrellaGirl wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:52 am My install of MainType has been failing to find new fonts in its specified directories for months; first version 6, then, when I upgraded in the hopes that that would fix it, version 7. It will recognize new fonts if I install them via the Windows font manager, but if I wanted to use that, I would :)

I've tried stopping and re-starting the font service, as well as backing up and restoring the fonts, twice. I've tried changing my directory structure; specifying subfolders rather than relying on the "recursive" option; and changing folders from manual to automatic and back again.

I'm thoroughly frustrated, and would greatly appreciate some insight!
Is it a mapped or a network drive?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
BlackUmbrellaGirl

It is not; it's a local drive.
BlackUmbrellaGirl

Glyphman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:21 pm Hi BUG, good if you tell how you trying to install the fonts. I installed some fonts yesterday and worked fine. I do not use recursively because I have all the fonts directly in main folders. I simply copy my fonts to the "Font folder" that it belongs to. I have 3 main Font folders that contains all fonts.
When restarting "Main Type" the fonts directly indexes that you can see in the message window down in the right corner.
Yeah, I do exactly what you do, but do not get the pop-up "finding fonts" message, no matter where I drop new fonts.
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

BlackUmbrellaGirl wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:30 pm Yeah, I do exactly what you do, but do not get the pop-up "finding fonts" message, no matter where I drop new fonts.
What font formats are you installing
But looks like you installing to folders that are not installed in "MT" because it works when you use the file explorer from inside Main Type. Maybee you have a duplicate of the folder/rs?
BlackUmbrellaGirl

Glyphman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:20 pm
BlackUmbrellaGirl wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:30 pm Yeah, I do exactly what you do, but do not get the pop-up "finding fonts" message, no matter where I drop new fonts.
But looks like you installing to folders that are not installed in "MT" because it works when you use the file explorer from inside Main Type. Maybee you have a duplicate of the folder/rs?
Sorry, I phrased "installing" badly. If I open a font window, by double-clicking on a .ttf file, I can click the Install button there, whereupon MT "sees" the new font and adds it to the catalog. The folders I'm adding new fonts to are the folders I've told MT to check. Even clicking the "refresh folders" button does NOT prompt a refresh.
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

BlackUmbrellaGirl wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Sorry, I phrased "installing" badly. If I open a font window, by double-clicking on a .ttf file, I can click the Install button there, whereupon MT "sees" the new font and adds it to the catalog. The folders I'm adding new fonts to are the folders I've told MT to check. Even clicking the "refresh folders" button does NOT prompt a refresh.
Aha... You are opening the file by doubleclicking the original file... then you get the option to install it to the windows os fonts folder. This doesn't include it to "main Type" !!!
You must either copy the font file directly into a folder that is installed to Main Type, or add the folder that includes the file/s to Main Type...
But the way you done, the font shall anyway be installed for use, but not handled by "MT".
BlackUmbrellaGirl

Glyphman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:48 pm
BlackUmbrellaGirl wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Aha... You are opening the file by doubleclicking the original file... then you get the option to install it to the windows os fonts folder. This doesn't include it to "main Type" !!!
You must either copy the font file directly into a folder that is installed to Main Type, or add the folder that includes the file/s to Main Type...
But the way you done, the font shall anyway be installed for use, but not handled by "MT".
My point, which appears to have been missed, is that I am moving new fonts to the folders I have told MT to check for new fonts. It fails to do so, even when told to do so. The only way I can use a font is by installing it through Windows, since MT hasn't got a clue.

I have done everything you've suggested, with no result.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Are these folders set to "sync"?

I prefer not to set my fonts folder to "sync" and use the manual refresh font folders option to add new fonts to the MainType database.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
BlackUmbrellaGirl

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:38 am Are these folders set to "sync"?

I prefer not to set my fonts folder to "sync" and use the manual refresh font folders option to add new fonts to the MainType database.
I've tried both automatic and manual refreshes, as well as just clicking the "sync" button; nothing works.
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Depending how complex your font librarys/folders are, I suggest you delete them and reinstall folders that contain all fonts inc the new ones...
BlackUmbrellaGirl

Glyphman wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm Depending how complex your font librarys/folders are, I suggest you delete them and reinstall folders that contain all fonts inc the new ones...
Is there a known limit on the complexity or number of levels of folder structure that MT will handle? I've not seen this suggested, but I'm not enthused to try your suggestion, as that will lead to duplication of fonts -- I've once or twice accidentally duplicated a font in a different folder, and ended up with 2 listings for the font in MT.

If there is a way to easily remove these sorts of duplicates, I might consider your folder-restructuring suggestion.
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Hi again... I don't know of any limitations either... but I always try to keep register as clean and limited as possible. Perhaps one of the developers can answer to this?
But for getting rid of everything/including dublicates. Just keep your original fonts folders on the local disc and uninstall the software "MT" reinstall "MT" and then install the original fonts folders again.
BlackUmbrellaGirl

Glyphman wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43 am Hi again... I don't know of any limitations either... but I always try to keep register as clean and limited as possible. Perhaps one of the developers can answer to this?
But for getting rid of everything/including dublicates. Just keep your original fonts folders on the local disc and uninstall the software "MT" reinstall "MT" and then install the original fonts folders again.
And re-tag 4,000 fonts? I can't see a way to retain my tags during a complete uninstall/reinstall; suggestions?