how to backup fonts to Google Drive ?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
vegtypography

how to backup fonts to Google Drive ?

Post by vegtypography »

I've included the original instructions below (from the MainType manual) for attempting to sync fonts using a Google Drive folder.

I setup Google Drive and added a folder from it to MainType on both a PC and a laptop.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to add any fonts to the Google Drive folder. I can't copy them to the folder, I can't therefore include them in the Google Drive folder to be synced. This includes fonts both currently installed and not installed.

Need help, what could I be doing wrong, please ?? Thanks !

Team Synchronization MainType can be used to easily add fonts to several computers. You can use a shared network folder, a Dropbox folder, or Google Drive folder. For each computer add this folder to MainType, and make sure the "Keep in sync" option is checked. Set a synchronization interval so MainType will continue to automatically scan the folder and add all fonts to the MainType font library. You can also check the "Automatically install all fonts..." option.
Note: You can also drag and drop a single folder from your Windows file explorer onto the main toolbar. Note: It is highly discouraged to add the Windows fonts folder as "Keep in sync", because this folder is managed by windows.
Erwin Denissen

Re: how to backup fonts to Google Drive ?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It is not possible to drag fonts into folders when the Recursive option is enabled.

Do uncheck it and let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
vegtypography

Post by vegtypography »

Hello and thanks for your help. What exactly is the Recursive Option ? And how do I turn it off so I can drag and drop fonts to the Google Drive folder ? I'm checking MainType program options and not seeing a way to do that. Thank you.
vegtypography

Post by vegtypography »

I found the recursive option under Group options. I've unchecked it. And I still can't drag and drop fonts to my Google Drive folder. What else could I be doing wrong ? Thank you.
vegtypography

Post by vegtypography »

Sorry to keep posting individual posts but I'm giving more information which I need to include to solve this problem. I added the Google Drive folder to MainType and I can't even delete it or uninstall it from the program. Why would that be ? I also added it again and unchecked recursive option and I still can't drag/drop fonts into it. Meanwhile every time I add the folder again, I can't delete it from MainType. The Google Drive folder shows with a different icon that looks like a small computer, instead of a folder icon, under the MainType groups menu.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've just send you an email, as it might be easier for use to take a look at the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've installed a beta of MainType 8 and that solved the issues reported here. Expect to see the final release of MainType 8 at the end of January 2018.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology