New User - Can't Figure Out How Remove Fonts from My Library

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
n0b3dience

New User - Can't Figure Out How Remove Fonts from My Library

Post by n0b3dience »

Hi, I'm looking for a good font manager and just got the trial, free version of MainType. So far I really like how fast it is and the multitude of options to organize my font library, but I'm having an issue that's preventing me from actually trying out the software. There's a limit of 2,500 fonts for the free version. I didn't realize this when I was adding font groups from my font folders and went over the 2,500 font limit. I remove one of the folders that should have dropped the library total below 2,500 but the fonts are still showing up in the library for some reason and I have no idea how to remove them. I tried updating the library but it didn't seem to remove anything. What am I doing wrong here? How do I force the library to re-cache the font database? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: New User - Can't Figure Out How Remove Fonts from My Library

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The easiest method is to uninstall, delete the font vault, and reinstall it.

Next time, add folders in stages and stop before you reach the 2,500 fonts limit.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
albeter

Post by albeter »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:26 pm The easiest method is to uninstall, delete the font vault, and reinstall it.
I think this is one of the major flaws in MainType (both free & paid version). Having to uninstall/reinstall to delete fonts from the library is an unacceptable method in my opinion. This procedure should only have to be relied upon when a catastrophic failure occurs with the application. Not, something as simple and ordinary as the desire to delete a font from the library. In doing so one loses all the work put into configuring the application such as organizing the fonts into groups and applying font tags.

The other flaw is there is no option to save all the setup configurations a user has made (e.g., groups, font tags, layouts, etc.) so one can easily reconfigure one’s setup on either another machine or after a catastrophic failure which requires an uninstall/reinstall.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

albeter wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:39 pm
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:26 pm The easiest method is to uninstall, delete the font vault, and reinstall it.
I think this is one of the major flaws in MainType (both free & paid version).
It's not the only method, just the easiest one if you want to delete a lot of fonts. It also clears the ignored font list.

Otherwise, you have to painstakingly go through all of your groups or font library to select each font you want to remove.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
n0b3dience

Post by n0b3dience »

Thank you to all who replied - I really appreciate the responses, and I'm glad to see that there is an active community around the software.

I did end up figuring it out a little while later, and, fortunately, I had not gone too far above the 2,500 font limit so it didn't take me long to remove enough fonts so that I could try out the software. I liked using it so much that I ended up purchasing the pro version earlier today actually.

I'd been using FontNexus, which is not a bad program (in fact, since it's free, I'd recommend FontNexus for any average Windows user who downloads fonts but doesn't need a font manager professionally), but it doesn't use a database and doesn't cache the font previews so any time you select a "group" or "collection" of fonts it temporarily loads every font the group/collection contains; and, while I try to keeps my fonts well organized by type, my sans-serif folder alone contains well over 1,000 fonts so it would take FontNexus an incredibly long time to load some groups if it didn't crash in the process.

Needless to say, I'm really happy to have a serious font manager like MainType that won't bring my workflow to grinding halt each time I open up an AI or INDD file to the dreaded "Missing Fonts" dialogue box. Thank you all again!

:D :D :D

-n0b3
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

n0b3dience wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 pm I'd been using FontNexus, which is not a bad program (in fact, since it's free, I'd recommend FontNexus for any average Windows user who downloads fonts but doesn't need a font manager professionally), but it doesn't use a database and doesn't cache the font previews so any time you select a "group" or "collection" of fonts it temporarily loads every font the group/collection contains
I presume you mean NexusFont (from xiles.net). I've only read about it, not used it, and until now I had only read good things about it! The fact that it always loads entire groups sounds seriously inconvenient, unless you're the kind of user whose mind is tidy enough that you keep the fonts in small groups and remember where they all are. I think I'll stick with MainType....
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10