Red Circle/Button

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
GirlG97

Red Circle/Button

Post by GirlG97 »

Next to some of the font names I have, is a red circle under the State Category. I get a message "Unknown Font Selected" including on fonts like ACaslon-Pro. I can't see a preview of any of the letters, on the right hand side of the screen. I can, however, see a sample. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Red Circle/Button

Post by Alfred »

According to the manual, a red ball means "The font is loaded by an external application and MainType cannot determine where it is located. The font cannot be unloaded through MainType." As far as I know, the only fix is to delete the font from MainType (without also deleting it from your hard drive, of course) and then reinstall it.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Hans-Peter

Post by Hans-Peter »

@Alfred
GirlG97 may be referring to five new protected system fonts that have been introduced with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, 1709 > 16299.19 They belong to the 'Bahnschrift' family and are present in three of my upgraded Windows 10 (stand alone) systems. Although available in WordPad and Word 2016, etc. it appears MainType is completely unable to deal with them.

Guidance appreciated!
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

The OP specifically mentions ACaslon-Pro, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if MainType isn't yet equipped to cope with the new OpenType variable fonts such as Bahnschrift. I think we need Erwin's input on this one!
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Just wonder guys... Do you update with "Windows Insiders"? Because I'm still on Windows 10, 1703, 15063.674 ? So we will see if I get that problem when the ordinary updates been pushed out.
Regards
Hans-Peter

Post by Hans-Peter »

@Glyphman —
1709 > 16299.19 was released on October 17, but in staged or staggered form. Some systems received the bits that day and some will not receive them until after the New Year. This is a consequence of the prioritizing of machine specs via the 'telemetry' Microsoft has been gathering on Windows 10 all these years.

At any rate, '1709' is available as a download in the ISO format from the Microsoft Catalog, but the upgrade download to a particular machine can be invoked / forced by means of the Windows 10 Update Assistant or the Media Creation Tool.

All good wishes.
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Hans-Peter wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 am @Glyphman —
1709 > 16299.19 was released on October 17, but in staged or staggered form. Some systems received the bits that day and some will not receive them until after the New Year. This is a consequence of the prioritizing of machine specs via the 'telemetry' Microsoft has been gathering on Windows 10 all these years.

At any rate, '1709' is available as a download in the ISO format from the Microsoft Catalog, but the upgrade download to a particular machine can be invoked / forced by means of the Windows 10 Update Assistant or the Media Creation Tool.

All good wishes.
Yes.. I checked it up. I can download & upgrade "manually". Think I shall wait some time and check what more issues it brings. Sure they has to do some bug-fixes as usual.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Alfred wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:58 pm The OP specifically mentions ACaslon-Pro, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if MainType isn't yet equipped to cope with the new OpenType variable fonts such as Bahnschrift. I think we need Erwin's input on this one!
Currently MainType doesn't fully support the new variable fonts.
GirlG97 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 pm Next to some of the font names I have, is a red circle under the State Category. I get a message "Unknown Font Selected" including on fonts like ACaslon-Pro. I can't see a preview of any of the letters, on the right hand side of the screen. I can, however, see a sample. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This usually only happens when a font is loaded without actually installing it. In such case there is no way of knowing the actual resource, hence the red circle.

But if you happen to see the font in the MainType "Library", then it might be a bug in MainType. We would then like to look into the issue, so let us know if this is the case.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Hans-Peter

Post by Hans-Peter »

@ Erwin Dennison

Yes, the Bahnschrift fonts appear in the Library. I have attached screenshots from both my Library (one font only) and Active Fonts, where five Bahnschrift fonts display but cannot be operated on by MainType 7, as shown in the captured Right-click Context Menu.

All good wishes!
Attachments
Bahnschrift versus Maintype 7_Library.png
Bahnschrift versus Maintype 7_Library.png (206.67 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
Bahnschrift versus Maintype 7_Active Fonts.png
Bahnschrift versus Maintype 7_Active Fonts.png (216.26 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Hi. Also did the upgrade today. As written earlier I have one font-family "red-lighted" Is the new "Bahschrift" as mentioned. Shall do some tests with this font....
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We're now running the latest Windows update and do see the Bahnschrift issue. If someone has more variable fonts for us to test, we can hopefully find a solution for the next upcoming major release. Please contact us through the ticket system or send a pm to me. Thanks!

Currently we're interested in Acumin which seems to come with the latest Adobe suite.

We also want to look into the initial issue with ACaslon-Pro.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Expect to see basic support for variable fonts for the next major release:
var.png
var.png (34.42 KiB) Viewed 9360 times
Would that work?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That would probably work.

Introducing OpenType Variable Fonts
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Hans-Peter

Post by Hans-Peter »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:38 am Expect to see basic support for variable fonts for the next major release:

var.png

Would that work?
Yes, thank you! Curious only: 'major release' = v8 or a new Build?

Good wishes.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Erwin,

But, shouldn't a variable font be listed only once and not the axes as individual "fonts"?

Or, what happens if one would only activate a single one (assuming it wasn't a system font)? Would all instances then show up as activated?