Bug? I'm not sure

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
cantina

Bug? I'm not sure

Post by cantina »

Trying MT for the first time and I'm prepared to buy a license, BUT I'm having a few issues right off the bat.
I have much of my font collection sorted into folders on my hard drive, (Some according to use, some by foundry etc.) and I need to know that I can move fonts easily within MT and have the files move on the disk.

I have tried a couple times to make this work without success. First time I added my top folder and let MT add other folders recursively. Obviously not right as I learned when I actually read the manual! I backed out of that, by fully uninstalling and reinstalling MT fresh. (uninstalled with REVO, all folders, files and reg entries).

Second try, fresh install. I added folders one at a time,
Add font folder, select folder on HD, Index Recursively is unchecked, create group unchecked, keep in sync checked.
This adds the fonts to the library and adds groups to the group window for each font folder as I expect. However, I can drag-copy from one group to another (from the font list panel) but moving with the ctlr drag will not work... error: Fonts cannot be moved while recursive view is enabled. please disable and try again.

I did not use recursive during adding folder... went back and checked each one. I messed with this for a while and ended up doing another full uninstall with a system restore to before I started and a fresh install... same issues.

am I missing something? I really do want to manage my font library inside MT. I certainly seems like I should be able to do this from reading the manual. Thanks for any help/advice.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Bug? I'm not sure

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is a toolbar button above the groups that you need to uncheck.

Folders recursively is actually recommended.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cantina

Post by cantina »

Ahhh! Erwin... thanks.
I just cam back to say that I was re-reading the manual (Groups Panel) and found this item. Honestly not super intuitive the way it is mentioned, but when I went back and realized that it was referencing a toolbar button it all became clear. I THINK I understand what you guys are trying to do here and it now makes more sense to me. I have it working how I expect and I'm happy with this reply, thank you! If I have any more trouble I wont wait to come here to ask!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

cantina wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:34 pmHowever, I can drag-copy from one group to another (from the font list panel) but moving with the Ctrl+drag will not work... error: Fonts cannot be moved while recursive view is enabled. please disable and try again.
Am I missing something? I really do want to manage my font library inside MT. I certainly seems like I should be able to do this from reading the manual. Thanks for any help/advice.
You may be missing the fact that moving fonts to different groups, does not move the TTF files to the corresponding folder on the hard drive.

MainType creates an indexed database of all your fonts, no matter from where they were added. You don't need to organise fonts in Windows Explorer if you use MainType. The program knows where to find the font to display it or install it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It does move them on your system if you are working within a sync folder.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology