Question about Backups

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
pixeldroid

Question about Backups

Post by pixeldroid »

If I were to restore a backup, would it restore the installed fonts to the exact state of when the backup was run?
Thanks.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Question about Backups

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No, it won't restore the status of the fonts. It could do more harm, but if you want to make a backup that also allows you to restore the installed fonts, this might work:

Select all Active fonts, and provide a tag "Installed".

Then when you restore the backup, uninstall all fonts, and then select all fonts with tag "Installed", and then install them.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pixeldroid

Post by pixeldroid »

Would there be a better way to save a restorable backup of the current state of the fonts on my computer?
Thanks.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No. Our font manager allows other software to also install fonts if needed. We don't want this exclusive right, as that would do more harm.

If you could provide a little more background information why this is so important to you, then we might better understand your needs.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pixeldroid

Post by pixeldroid »

At some point, I noticed that I had almost 1000 fonts installed - many of which I didn't know about or want. It is my assumption that various software packages have installed them and it is a major pain to pare them down! As I get the installed font base the way I want it, it would be great to be able to save a snapshot and easily restore it if rogue programs install fonts that I don't want.

I have almost 20K fonts in my library, so I appreciate MainType as a way to manage them - been using it since V2.
Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

For a long time, I have grouped my fonts by application, so it would be easy to uninstall a groups of fonts belonging to any one application if I needed to reinstall the application and forgot not to install its fonts.
Font Groups.png
Font Groups.png (34 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
My fonts are sorted in Windows Explorer folders, so MainType created the groups automatically when I installed it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

pixeldroid wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 pm At some point, I noticed that I had almost 1000 fonts installed - many of which I didn't know about or want. It is my assumption that various software packages have installed them and it is a major pain to pare them down! As I get the installed font base the way I want it, it would be great to be able to save a snapshot and easily restore it if rogue programs install fonts that I don't want.

I have almost 20K fonts in my library, so I appreciate MainType as a way to manage them - been using it since V2.
Thanks.
Don't use the backup and restore feature for this.

It is very easy to just tag the fonts you want installed, then you can use the Exclude tag search to list all fonts you don't want to be installed.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pixeldroid

Post by pixeldroid »

That makes sense.
I didn't quite catch it in your original reply...

I don't use MainType's backup feature because my fonts are included in my backup files.
So in case anyone finds this thread useful, I would add that Tags (with Ratings) can be exported to an xml file. In the event of a disaster, if the fonts restored to the same directory, the tags can be manually restored.

Thanks.