Ongoing Problem Printing PDF Font Exemplars...

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Hitch

Ongoing Problem Printing PDF Font Exemplars...

Post by Hitch »

I've searched this forum; checked the Tutorials, which don't address this.

I have Adobe Acrobat Distiller on my system. I use it successfully with pretty much everything--except MainType. Nothing I do--nothing--enables me to print out a font examplar/font set from a Group of fonts, without it crashing and burning. I get constant messages for the logs, saying that MT can't find this font, or that font when I'm sitting there looking at the fonts in the designated folder. It seems that unless I install every font in the folder, it's doomed to fail. Nothing I do suffices as a workaround. This is a real hassle. I've seen comments on this forum that it's somehow Adobe's fault, but Adobe seems to have zero issues printing the same exact fonts, in the same locations, uninstalled, via Typograf or other FM programs.

There's got to be a simple way to do this, without me having to manually go install and uninstall fonts constantly. My entire business deals with fonts and font choices non-stop, and I would be very, very appreciative if I could just create a folder (e.g., "Poetry Fonts," "Sci-fi fonts") and print the thing to give out to clients to choose.

Anyone have any ideas? Anything at all?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Ongoing Problem Printing PDF Font Exemplars...

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have you tried a different PDF Printer? No crash here with Foxit Reader. 36 pages of fonts, none of them installed.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

Have you tried a different PDF Printer? No crash here with Foxit Reader. 36 pages of fonts, none of them installed.
I've tried the Windows PDF option, and it seems to work a bit. What's peculiar about the Adobe option--and I ran into this with Extnesis, too--is that it seems as though the fonts are not being passed to the PDF as embedded. When I use Adobe, the font names (that do embed) are displayed in the Properties; when I use the MS PTPDF option, I get disguised font names (e.g. CIDFont+F1-->). For this purpose, it's not the end of the world, but I would most certainly like to know WHY this is such a problem, for so many font managers. It seems bizarre, given that Adobe is a foundry in addition to everything else.

Hitch
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Is it the PDF generator or MainType who causes the crashes?

If it is MainType, then we might be able to look into it, but if it is related to the PDF generator it is obviously out of scope.

Providing us more detailed information will help us understand the exact cause of the problems.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology