Recently installed MainType is not recognizing fonts

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
irhalak

Recently installed MainType is not recognizing fonts

Post by irhalak »

I recently built a new computer and as part of the migration process, I brought over all my previous fonts. I installed them all as per the usual Windows method of placing them in the Fonts folder and allowing Windows to automatically install them.

When I installed MainType, none of the fonts (some 800 of them) were visible. Even after adding the windows Font folder and refreshing, they still did not appear on the list. I then uninstalled all the fonts, to see if using a backup restore would work differently. This worked - now all of my fonts were in MainType, but not installed on the computer. As expected. I selected them all, installed them via MainType, and everything seemed fine. They were all present in the Windows Font folder, usable in other programs, all my tags working.

However, if I install a new font, again via the windows method of either drag&drop into the Font folder or by running the installer, MainType will not recognize the font.

This is strange, as on the previous computer, MainType would recognize any font installed in that method.
Even after adding the Windows Font folder and refreshing, MainType will still not recognize the fonts installed.
I would prefer to not have to use a secondary folder and install every font via MainType.

What is different and/or going wrong between the two installs?
Erwin Denissen

Re: Recently installed MainType is not recognizing fonts

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe some anti-virus software forces it to run within a container (in a sandbox environment) that isn't able to fully inspect your actual Windows system.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
irhalak

Re: Recently installed MainType is not recognizing fonts

Post by irhalak »

I'll take a look but since it's Win10 the only antivirus used is Windows Defender, like the previous computer, and that didn't cause any problems there.