All new fonts are showing red dot

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Cathy9887

All new fonts are showing red dot

Post by Cathy9887 »

Ok, so maybe not every single one.. but it's gotta be close. It seems to have started a couple weeks ago, and ever since then, (I think/assume) every font I download and install has the red dot in the state column, and doesn't load anything in MainType. I've tried uninstalling them & reinstalling them.. I've tried different fonts.. I've tried Googling the issue.. and even checked the Search on here. Sure, the red circles are mentioned.. but it doesn't appear anyone has had the same issue i'm having.

I should point out... it just occurred to me, the troubling fonts also do not appear in Inkscape. Hmm.. the plot thickens.....

Has anyone else come across this?? Now that I'm aware of the Inkscape issue, I will continue searching... but am also holding out a little hope that someone can assist. These designs won't finish themselves without these pesky fonts!! ;)

Thank you!!
Cathy

Windows 10.0.17763
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: All new fonts are showing red dot

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Help says:

The font is loaded by an external application and MainType cannot determine where it is located. The font cannot be unloaded through MainType

How, are you installing the fonts?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A recent Windows 10 update (v1809) includes support for installing fonts per user. Previous versions only supported system wide font installations, so this is a new feature which MainType currently doesn't support.

As you already noticed, most other software also is not ready for this.

We expect to release a new version of our font manager which supports this Windows enhancement within a couple of weeks.

For now we can only provide this work-around:
Within Windows file explorer, select the font (don't select a zip file, but the unpacked file). Right-click it and select Install for all users.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Cathy9887

Post by Cathy9887 »

OH MY GOODNESS!! Thank you!!! I was getting ready to enter full panic mode, thinking I had somehow done something to prevent fonts from installing correctly.

The workaround works beautifully.. and for that matter, I say take your time on the update! As long as this works... we're good!!

Thank you again!!

Cathy
mom2nangel

Post by mom2nangel »

Hello, I’m also showing red dots on certain fonts. Can you explain the workaround in more detail? I can’t seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance.
kararams

Post by kararams »

I'm still getting red dots by each new font installed. I just upgraded to the professional version and its still not working correctly. When will this be fixed?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The upcoming MainType 9 should solve this issue.

You can download an unofficial release here:
[deleted as the official release is now available from our website]

We intend to release it officially next week. Since you've recently upgraded, you are entitled to a free upgrade to MainType 9.

Let us know if this version solves the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
kararams

Post by kararams »

Thanks for the update to MainType 9. Worked like a charm! I just installed a couple new fonts with no problem. All green dots here :)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

That is good to hear!

The official version of MainType 9 is now available from our download page.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology