Cannot install update / cannot reinstall older version

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
meg99az

Cannot install update / cannot reinstall older version

Post by meg99az »

April 29, 2020

When I opened MainType today (version 8.0), I got a message stating that there was an update available. I clicked to have it automatically download and install.

It seemed to download and install most of the way, but then stopped with a message that it "cannot overwrite a file with the same name". It did not identify the file. It asked whether to retry, ignore, abort. I clicked abort, and it then stated it successfully rolled back. But, after that, the old installation would not run.

Since then, attempts to run MainType create a splash screen that states "Initializing . . . The font service is not running. Please run FmsConfig.exe or contact customer support."

Since then, I have manually tried to start the Service but it will not start. I have manually run FmsConfig, but it will not run. I have used the uninstaller unins000.exe that comes with MainType, and it states that MainType has been removed, but then when I try to do a clean install I get the same errors (I have tried reinstalling v8 which was working before, and the new v9, and both have the same problem). The messages from these various processes are all either "cannot overwrite file", or "service not running", or "cannot find file". I have no further information on which files. Reboots have not helped.

I am happy to hand edit the registry and delete and remove files as needed, but I need some help figuring out what exactly needs to get fixed or cleared or rolled back to make it all work again.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Cannot install update / cannot reinstall older version

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Strange, but maybe this helps:

Install the latest version.

If it fails at some point, reboot.

Then open FmsConfig and stop the fontservice.

Now try to install the latest version again.

If it still fails, let us know the exact error message, preferably with some screenshots.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
meg99az

Post by meg99az »

Thanks for your reply.
I tried your suggestions, but no luck.
No matter what permutation I have tried of all of this, no luck.
After reboot, the font service is off by default, and attempts to start it fail.
Running FmsConfig gives me a control panel, but it cannot make changes.
Attempts to run MainType fail.
Attempts to reinstall MainType fail.

Even attempts to manually delete the old installation fail. FmsProxy.exe and MainType.exe require admin privileges to delete, but even when I run Explorer or anything else with admin privileges, the file is not removed. (I understand that the app is trying to protect itself from accidental corruption, but the whole setup is acting more like malware than reputable software.)

Attached are screenshots.

1. https://arimedica.com/content/temp_post ... 20cap).jpg
If I try to manually start the service, I get this message:
Windows could not start the High-Logic Font Management Service on Local Computer.
Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
2. https://arimedica.com/content/temp_post ... 20cap).jpg
If I run FmsConfig.exe, I get the control panel, showing that the service is off.
3. https://arimedica.com/content/temp_post ... 20cap).jpg
This shows the version info pane from the control panel.
4. [https://arimedica.com/content/temp_post ... 20cap).jpg
If I click the Start button in the FmsConfig pane, I get this message:
Failed to start service: The system cannot find the file specified.
5. https://arimedica.com/content/temp_post ... 20cap).jpg
When I try to start MainType, I get this message:
- Initializing ...
- The font service is not running!
- Please run FmsConfirg.exe or contact customer support.
6. https://arimedica.com/content/temp_post ... 20cap).jpg
When I reinstall MainType, I gets so far, and then gives this message:
An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory.
MoveFile failed; code 183.
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Attempts to manually delete the old installation (where the filename collisions are probably occurring) fail, as described above.
Running the uninstaller fails to eliminate the old files.
Attempts to install to a new folder fail because the installer no longer asks for a destination folder - it just assumes the old one.

Sorry to say, but I have installed and maintained a gazillion Windows apps on a zillion machines for 35 years, and this is the one of the most irregular update-reinstall challenges I have ever seen, surprising given that it is just a few files in just 2 or 3 directories.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help you might have.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is indeed the most awkward software installation issue we have even seen.

We will contact you to sort it out.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
meg99az

Post by meg99az »

Hi -

I got things working again.

It did take a few reboots, but I did not have to enter safe mode or console mode, and registry edits were not necessary.

The trick was in three things:
1 - After rebooting, not running any of the High-Logic software except the uninstaller . . .
2 - Run the uninstaller, which did seem to clear the registry and most evidence of the prior installation, and then . . .
3 - I was still unable to delete the .exe's from the current installation folders which were still there, but I was able to rename the current installation folders, e.g. "MainType_80" >> "xx_~~MainType_80" then create new folders with the original names.

Now, finally, to the installer, there was no evidence of a prior installation. and reinstallation worked.

But, another issue - this all started when I downloaded and installed the latest version 9. So, when I got things working again, I installed version 9. And guess what, it flagged that I was using the free or trial version, and it locked me out of my current databases (i.e. a 2500 font limit). Using my old installation keys from versions 6, 7, & 8 would not work. So, I uninstalled it, but then had the same problems as above trying to reinstall version 8. This time, though, it was easy to just follow the same steps above, and version 8 is now up and running again.

Funny thing is, I never tried to run FontCreator during this event, only after I got MainType 8 up and running again, so I do not know if it was affected by the font service being down, but that is working fine now too.

I am very happy to pay for an upgrade for great software that I use, but I downloaded the MainType update not because I went to the website looking for it, but rather because a pop up window appeared suggesting I download the latest version. It should have made clear that an update fee with a new installation code would be needed to get version 9 to run - would have eliminated the need to uninstall / reinstall back to version 8.

Might I suggest that when the update is offered - which is good, nice to get that news and allow me to decide - that it be managed one of these ways:
- On the popup, make sure that it takes the user to an update page that includes the fee and new code.
- If the user is installing the new download over a prior legitimate paid-up version, then do not lock him out of his current databases, but allow him to continue using the new software full featured for 10 or 15 or 30 days, enough time to get the upgrade fee paid for and get the new code.

I appreciate the great products you make, and thanks for staying with me on this.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Older versions of FontCreator do give me such a warning. A similar warning would be useful in MainType if it does not already exist.
Upgrade FontCreator.png
Upgrade FontCreator.png (49.89 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

meg99az wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:16 pm I got things working again.
I'm glad to know you've managed to get it installed again.
meg99az wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:16 pm I am very happy to pay for an upgrade for great software that I use, but I downloaded the MainType update not because I went to the website looking for it, but rather because a pop up window appeared suggesting I download the latest version. It should have made clear that an update fee with a new installation code would be needed to get version 9 to run - would have eliminated the need to uninstall / reinstall back to version 8.
We've just tested it ourselves, but it seems to provide accurate information if you use the update feature from within a registered MainType 8.
MainType8UpdateNotification.png
MainType8UpdateNotification.png (80.49 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology