Oops database version error while opening v9.0

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
FiroKun

Oops database version error while opening v9.0

Post by FiroKun »

Hello! I was using MainTypes version v9.0.0.1152 since a lot. I recently updated my Windows version to 19041.630, and installed again that v9, but when I tried to open it, it throws me an "Oops" daatabase error regarding database version (se attached capture).

How can I solved it? Why this is happend? It works fine before I updated Windows.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Captura.PNG
Captura.PNG (43.32 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Oops database version error while opening v9.0

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MainType 9 was updated several times since the version that you installed:

Changelog

You need the installer for 9.0.0.1207.

See Download Old Versions
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
FiroKun

Post by FiroKun »

Gracias por el comentario. Pero, ¿por qué ocurre este error? Estaba funcionando bien antes, ¿qué cambió?
FiroKun

Post by FiroKun »

Thanks for the comment. But why this error happens? Was working fine before, what changed?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It seems the software was not stopped yet during a shutdown of your computer. Then in a very rare case this can happen.

If the problem is not solved by the upgrade, you most likely have to do use a backup you made earlier through FmsConfig. If you do not have backups, then a full uninstall and a reinstall solves the problem, but then you will have to start all over.

Also be aware you are using an older version. The latest release has many improvements, so it is best to upgrade to version 10.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
FiroKun

Post by FiroKun »

I solved the problem in a non-common way, at leats. I unistalled the software with a thir-party tool, do a Windows registry clean, and then manually searched and erased all the remain files of the program, included temp files. Then I reinstall the software and everithing is ok now.

I know that theres newer versions of the software, but I'm confortable with this... You know "if something works for you, dont change it"

Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FiroKun wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 pmI know that there's newer versions of the software, but I'm comfortable with this... You know "if something works for you, don't change it."
In any case, you should upgrade to the latest version of MainType 9.0 to get the latest bug fixes.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

FiroKun wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 pm I solved the problem in a non-common way, at leats. I unistalled the software with a thir-party tool, do a Windows registry clean, and then manually searched and erased all the remain files of the program, included temp files. Then I reinstall the software and everithing is ok now.
Just the regular Windows Uninstall would have done the trick:

In the search box on the taskbar, type Add or Remove Programs and select it from the results.

If that is not available on your system then type Control Panel and select it. Select Programs > Uninstall a Program.

Locate MainType and select Uninstall. Follow the directions and make sure you select Yes when asked to fully uninstall the software including the MainType database.
FiroKun wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 pm I know that theres newer versions of the software, but I'm confortable with this... You know "if something works for you, dont change it"
Version 10 is more robust and comes with many new gems, including OpenType layout features:
MainTypeFeatures3.gif
MainTypeFeatures3.gif (773.89 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
And a dark theme:
MainTypeDarkTheme2.png
MainTypeDarkTheme2.png (224.26 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
FiroKun

Post by FiroKun »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:09 pm Just the regular Windows Uninstall would have done the trick:

In the search box on the taskbar, type Add or Remove Programs and select it from the results.

If that is not available on your system then type Control Panel and select it. Select Programs > Uninstall a Program.

Locate MainType and select Uninstall. Follow the directions and make sure you select Yes when asked to fully uninstall the software including the MainType database.

Version 10 is more robust and comes with many new gems, including OpenType layout features:

MainTypeFeatures3.gif

And a dark theme:

MainTypeDarkTheme2.png
I've done that tricky way because only unistalling and reinstalling don't solved the problem before for me (that's the reason I post a thread in this forum)... Even unistalling and perform a registry clean after don't solved the problem... Only when I used a third-party unistaller program, plus registry clean, plus manually erase all the remain files leaved by the unistaller, and then reinstalling, did the trick and solved the problem... Gratefully!

Thanks for the advices over v10, I'll check it, meanwhile this one works perfect! Now.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

They only way it can fail is when you click No. Anyway it is good to know our font manager is running again.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology