How to create Family/Group

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Kaynaydian

How to create Family/Group

Post by Kaynaydian »

Hi all,

I'm new to MainType and liking it so far.

One thing I'm having trouble figuring out is how to add fonts to a family or group so that only the main font shows up in the font list rather than having 10 different versions of the same font showing up in the list. I've selected these fonts and added them to a Group, but they all seem to still show up in the Font list.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How to create Family/Group

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MainType cannot add or remove fonts from a family group. That is a property of the fonts, and depends on correct naming. It can only toggle the display to show or ignore family grouping. In this screenshot there are (4) fonts in the group Cambria Regular, and (1) in the group Cambria Math. Family grouping is enabled / disabled by the icon.
Family Grouping.png
Family Grouping.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Kaynaydian

Post by Kaynaydian »

Ahh. I see. So is there any way around this to have fonts not appear in the main list if they are off-shoots of a font?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See Font Family Settings and Flags.

You would need to use a font editor like FontCreator to create font family groups by renaming them correctly.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Kaynaydian

Post by Kaynaydian »

Thank you! Off to try the FontCreator now! :P This is going to be quite the rabbit hole I'm falling down. :D