How to move Windows 10 system fonts to another folder on same computer

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
ptaker

How to move Windows 10 system fonts to another folder on same computer

Post by ptaker »

I just purchased the MainType Pro program. In the manual is listed Windows 10 system font families. I know it was recommended NOT to have more than 500 active fonts to maintain stability of the computer. With the system fonts, I start out with over 400 active fonts without activating any others.

I would like to move any font family not on the list of system fonts to another folder on the C drive called System Fonts Not Used.

QUESTION: Can I just move those system fonts from the C:\ Windows Font folder to the new one. If so, anything to look out for doing it.
SECOND QUESTION: Can I use a font renamer to provide the full font name and not the abbreviated one? Can this also be done with the System Fonts too?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bob
Erwin Denissen

Re: How to move Windows 10 system fonts to another folder on same computer

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Modern systems can easily handle up to 1000 installed fonts, so no worries about that.

Since all fonts that are available in the Library view in MainType are stored in a Vault, you can also choose to just uninstall unneeded fonts. Then if you need them again, go to the Library view and install them again.

If you want to have a copy of those fonts in a specific folder, then select those in MainType, and select Export form the File menu. Then all selected fonts are stored with a file name based on their font name.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ptaker

Post by ptaker »

Just to make sure I understand your reply, let me ask this:
1- See Attached. You do not recommend renaming the actual fonts but just work through Maintype which already shows the "real" font names.
2- You do not recommend moving any needed or unneeded system fonts to another folder and uninstalling them because, as mentioned in the manual, the system might become unstable.
3- Am I correct there is no way to gather the system fonts in one folder using Maintype since the program does not breakdown where the font came from expect in the information panel and that is only on a font level basis?

I have a few more question on this program but it is not on this topic so I will start a new post.

Bob
Attachments
Font Renamer Example.jpg
Font Renamer Example.jpg (165.2 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

ptaker wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:48 pm Just to make sure I understand your reply, let me ask this:
1- See Attached. You do not recommend renaming the actual fonts but just work through Maintype which already shows the "real" font names.
Correct. Let the font manager mange your fonts. No need to know the file names.
ptaker wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:48 pm 2- You do not recommend moving any needed or unneeded system fonts to another folder and uninstalling them because, as mentioned in the manual, the system might become unstable.
You can do it if you want to, but in general there is no need for this.
ptaker wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:48 pm 3- Am I correct there is no way to gather the system fonts in one folder using Maintype since the program does not breakdown where the font came from expect in the information panel and that is only on a font level basis?
Yes, as with each new update of Windows, there might be other fonts. Also Windows does install additional when you install for Asian, Arabic, etc.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology