Getting started

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
phylc

Getting started

Post by phylc »

I have too many fonts that load with photoshop and they are slowing down my computer. I want to put them somewhere else- like Main Type- and use them as needed. I have three drives on my computer. Can I put Main type on a different drive, move the fonts to that and delete the original drive? Does it need to be on a portable drive and that drive constantly plugged in? Can it be on any of the drives- even the same as photoshop or where my fonts are currently located?
I cannot find information on how to do this.

If I eliminate the folder they are in now, but retain them in Main Type- would that fix my problem?

If I am in Photoshop and I want a font, do I first have to access Main Type, find the file and install it? Does the font remain in photoshop until I turn it off in Main Type?
Thank you - really want to buy this but I need to be sure how to install it and use it. The guide does not answer these questions.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Getting started

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MainType should be installed on a drive where it is always available. Fonts on external drives can be added to MainType, which will store them in its Font Vault (which you should backup using FMS Config). Then the external drive with the fonts can be removed.

The fonts can then be uninstalled using MainType and reinstalled when needed.

If the fonts are Loaded instead of being Installed, they will only be available until you reboot your PC. So if you are currently working in PhotoShop on a project that needs those fonts, you can load them. When you next boot-up your PC they won't be slowing down font selection in other programs, as they won't be installed.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
phylc

Post by phylc »

I have a "c" (main) drive that my programs are on. I have an "L" that my fonts reside in at the moment.

I am guessing Main Type would be installed on the C drive. Do you suggest the back-up to be on the "L" drive or a portable drive?

After I install all the fonts to Main type, would I make a backup then uninstall all the original files on my "L" drive?

I have read of "crashes" with Photoshop. Is that still a problem or has that been solved by updated versions?

If I buy the $49 version and want to upgrade to the professional, how would I do that?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.
I very much appreciate it.
PhylC
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I suggest installing the program on the C: drive and let the Vault remain on the C: drive where it will remain. The C: drive presumably has many Gbytes of free space? My 500 Gybte drive still has 357 Gbytes free after installing all of my programs and documents.

Backup the vault to the C: drive using FMS Config.
Copy the Vault folder to your L: Drive
MainType Backup.png
MainType Backup.png (33.94 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Note that the folder name: fms-backup-2021-06-26 shows the date that the backup was made.

Archive it to save space and copy that.
MainType Backup Archived.png
MainType Backup Archived.png (28.85 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
If the C: drive crashes you can simply reinstall the program to a new PC, and restore your backup from the L: drive. If you lose the L: drive, you can make a fresh backup to a USB stick or wherever.

I have font vault backups to two USB sticks. My vault backup is a 7-Zip archive of about 298 Mbytes. I also keep a backup of MainTypeSetup-x64.exe installer (24Mbytes) in case I have no Internet access when I need it.

Upgrade Pricing for High-Logic Products.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486