Moving Fonts From PC1 to PC2

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
rvfisher

Moving Fonts From PC1 to PC2

Post by rvfisher »

I’m a bit thick. But after reading:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7437

and

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5498&p=24745&hilit=moving#p24745

I still don’t understand the best way to move PC1 fonts to PC2 and reuse my Maintype database and tags. My PC1 fonts are in C:\Windows\Fonts and D:\Fonts (a keep-in-sync folder). Two options occur to me:

Windows Copy
1. Copy from the two PC1 folders into two identical paths in PC2.
2. Install Maintype on PC2 and restore backed up database, vault, and tag export from PC1.

Maintype Restore
1. Create empty D:\Fonts on PC2.
2. Install Maintype on PC2 and restore backed up database, vault, and tag export from PC1.

Maybe neither option makes sense. Any help would be valued, prized, and esteemed.
Dan the Man

Re: Moving Fonts From PC1 to PC2

Post by Dan the Man »

I need to do the same thing. Have you found the best way to move fonts to another computer? Did you use Windows copy or Maintype vault? This is very confusing.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

rvfisher wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:53 am I still don’t understand the best way to move PC1 fonts to PC2 and reuse my Maintype database and tags. My PC1 fonts are in C:\Windows\Fonts and D:\Fonts (a keep-in-sync folder). Two options occur to me:

Windows Copy
1. Copy from the two PC1 folders into two identical paths in PC2.
In your case I think this works best as you maintain fonts on your file system.

Other users that fully rely on MainType, thus without keep-in-sync folders, can skip the first step.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
rvfisher

Post by rvfisher »

Thanks Erwin.

I decided to organize PC1 fonts into "base" fonts that are fairly standard to a fresh installation of Windows and Apps, and placed all other fonts (that I have added to this base) in D:\Fonts. Then copied D:\Fonts to PC2, synced, and retagged (rather than take a chance on something going amiss with inconsistencies between PC1 and PC2 fonts, libraries, vaults, etc.).

I appreciate you!