Antialisaing

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
pentool

Antialisaing

Post by pentool »

Back in the time when I was trying out all the possible font managers I could find, I always wondered why I can't preview the fonts (from within a particular font manager) using antialiasing?

The Mac displays the fonts nice and smooth and on Windowz you always see the jagged font samples.

Now, I know that antialisaing is a system-wide setting on Windowz that I can enable in the Displays control panel, etc, blah-blah. And on the Mac it's universally enabled.

I personally don't like to have antialisaing turned on as a system-wide function on my machine. However, when I work in the Adobe suite, they display the fonts antialiased, which is a built-in functionality of the program.

So I'm just curious, what would it take to have a "custom" antialised preview feature? Like a toggle button of some sort which would enable MainType to display the fonts antialiased, even if the ClearView option is disabled in the control panel.

I know it's not a burning issue at all, but I just thought of that, because this would make MainType the only font manager on the market (at least the one I know of) which would have its own antialiased feature built in. Now THAT would be cool!

Just a thought...
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A nice request, I'll add it to the wish list. BTW Font Creator already has such feature in the Glyph Overview window.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
bfaysal

Post by bfaysal »

I was going to post a request about the missing antialiasing option when I found this thread.
I was trying the evaluation version, and it is really wonderful. I love the fact of changing the sample1 text, and see my future webpage title displayed in all the fonts I have, in order to pick the one that suites me best. It only lacks antialising to become perfect.

For Pentool : The antialiasing in the Display control panel is ugly (in my opinion :wink: ), because every text displayed becomes antialiased. I'm a webdesigner, and i'm convinced that the main text of a page should be aliased, it's easier to read. But titles, menus and others must be antialiased, that's why we use images instead of plain text. Now the antialising option in MainType would be a great relief, since it gives a quick and final look to the title, before picking the font on Photoshop or other software.

Many thanks to the High-Logic team, you do a great job.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

I love the fact of changing the sample1 text, and see my future webpage title displayed in all the fonts I have, in order to pick the one that suites me best.
I hope Dick tries this.

It would guarantee that he would live to be at least 1,000.
Aut nunc aut nunquam