Auto-Load on Startup, store list of fonts

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
knatterton

Auto-Load on Startup, store list of fonts

Post by knatterton »

Hi !

I suggest to add two functions:

First:
An other font tool allows to start with the login and installs a defined set of fonts, sot htey have not to be installed in the windows font directory and can easily be changed. Unfortunately it doesn't work correctly.

Second:
I like to have an overview in Maintype about all my fonts which I have on my computer. This list should be stored in Maintype and available and listed immediately and completely when I open it.
At the moment whenever I browse my font directory they are all browsed from the beginning when I open the folder and it takes several minutes until the list is complete - that's boring and not very useful when I want to add some fonts from the complete list to a customers group for example.
And when I add/delete some fonts to my computer I will request Maintype manually to search and/delete the fonts in this list.

Regards, Klaus
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Too Many Fonts

Post by Dave Crosby »

I now have about 120,000 fonts.

I assure you I do NOT want a list of all of them popping up each time!

:roll: I guess it would be ok if there was a switch to turn it off.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
knatterton

Post by knatterton »

I would also propose to add this "memory" function for groups in general.
Whenever I click on a group, it always is loaded font by font from the harddisk, which can also take a lot of time.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

An other font tool allows to start with the login and installs a defined set of fonts, sot htey have not to be installed in the windows font directory and can easily be changed. Unfortunately it doesn't work correctly.
So you would like an option to start MainType as soon as you start your PC?
I like to have an overview in Maintype about all my fonts which I have on my computer.
This is a nice feature request, I'll put it on the to-do list. For now you can just select the C drive with sub folders included. I know that's not what you want, but for now that's the best solution.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
knatterton

Post by knatterton »

Autostart:
Not only start Maintype with the login (I could add it to the Autostart-Folder right now) but also to load one (or more) groups autmatically which I defined in Maintype before.
osq

Start minimized (as a service?)

Post by osq »

Yup! I'd definately like to have the option to start MainType (preferably as a service) on computer start and be minimized to systemtray by default. Like Extensis Suitcase does. Very unobtrusive. Just an icon in the tray and you could start managing your fonts right away without having to separately start MainType.

It's really a pain to start MainType everytime I've booted my computer. And if I just put a shortcut to Startup -folder, MainType opens in a window, which is not what I want. I want to see my desktop when I start my computer.

I also agree on the post about autoloading fontsets on MainType start. Or possibly an option to save the fonts list in a database file (or something like that) which would be compared to defined font -folders for possible changes on MT startup. Or perhaps a button to scan the folders for changes? That way your folders and sets wouldn't have to be loaded everytime you start MainType (??? Correct me if I'm wrong...), because it can be pretty time consuming. And I only have about 700 different fonts!

Hope this makes sense :)

Anyway. Other than the things mentioned above, I think MainType is a great piece of software. And I did choose it over several other options, including Extensis Suitcase. If only I could get the abovementioned options MT would be nearly perfect tool for my needs!