Better Font Groups...

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
riw

Better Font Groups...

Post by riw »

Today, it looks like that when you put a font in a group, and you also have the font in another folder (such as by name, etc), it shows up twice in the list of fonts when you're browsing. If you have the group installed, it shows up as "similar font installed."

This is a bit annoying.... I don't know if it's possible, but it seems like you shouldn't see the font twice, or see it as "similar font installed" when you have it installed, and also in a group, etc. It seems like the only way out of this is to remove the font from the "normal" folders, and leave it only in the group folder, to prevent this from happening. The problem with this is it makes finding the font harder, I think, in the end....

Anyway, just seems to me there should be some better way to deal with this. For the moment, I'm just not using the groups, since they create duplicate fonts....

Russ
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I suggest you add shortcuts instead of copies of the font files to your groups, as that ensures you always refer to a single font resource.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
riw

Post by riw »

Erwin Denissen wrote:I suggest you add shortcuts instead of copies of the font files to your groups, as that ensures you always refer to a single font resource.
Is there a setting for this? When I create the group within maintype, it copies the font files, rather than creating shortcuts.

Thanks....

Russ
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Russ,

From the user manual:
http://www.high-logic.com/maintype/manu ... rtcuts.htm

Select one or more fonts and drag them onto another group or browse folder. During the drag and drop operation hold down the ALT key to create shortcuts to the selected fonts. You can even drag and drop between MainType and other applications that fully support drag and drop (like Windows explorer).

You can also use the Add to Group operation:
http://www.high-logic.com/maintype/manu ... groups.htm
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology