A better Browse panel layout

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
webber

A better Browse panel layout

Post by webber »

I tried the demo. I like MainType. I won't use the group feature. My fonts are organized by type (open type, true type, etc) then by foundries, then (when I have enough fonts from that foundry) by alphabetical order (A, B, C, etc.), and finally by font name. That's a lot of folders to go through.

I found the Browse panel difficult to use with the directory tree on top. (if it's not already done) would you consider offering the option to have the tree on the left (like in Explorer)? I think it would be a more logical layout, especially for people who, like me, hide most of the columns and have a widescreen monitor.

Keep up the good work.
Webber
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I agree, it might help some users if the Preview Pane of the Fonts Toolbar could be a separate toolbar pane to move wherever the user wants. Perhaps that might be possible in the next version.

Meanwhile, take a look at the favourites button at the top of the Fonts toolbar, folder pane. If you add your favourite folders to this list, perhaps you can browse using favourites instead of the folder tree.

There is also the browse history, but that seems to be cleared on closing the program.

Do experiment with different layouts. The shortcuts make it very easy to switch between different layouts. A wide screen monitor offers even more possibilities by detaching some panes and arranging them outside the program window. You could expand your Folder pane to the full height of the Fonts Toolbar, and use the Font name droplist to browse different fonts in the same folder.

I think you will find that MainType is very powerful compared to other font managers.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi webber,

Great suggestion, I've added it to the to-do list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
kem

Post by kem »

This is THE thing i find annoying with maintype. I'd love to be able to change this layout. having two long lists side by side makes much more sense than one on top of the other.