Filter or Search by Classification attributes

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
jtchurch

Filter or Search by Classification attributes

Post by jtchurch »

Feature: Filter or Search by Classification attributes

This would be a big help in filtering through hundreds or thousands of fonts to find typefaces of similar characteristics.

-BTW, Great program! I've tried several others including Extensis products and find this to be the best for the PC by far!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can sort by Panose Number. Click on the column headings.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jtchurch

Post by jtchurch »

I didn't actually know what that Panose column meant, but now I do.

The Panose classification system seems powerful from what I gathered from a little online research, however unless a person has the Panose desk reference sitting next to them as they are searching for a certain type of font, it might be a little unwieldy.

As you already have the feature built into your program that answers questions about the typeface by feature, e.g. Serif Style, Proportion, Stroke Variation, etc. (which may be using the Panose system), why not make these easy to understand terms part of an index or database to enable searching, filtering, etc. ?
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Panose

Post by Dave Crosby »

it might be a little unwieldy.
Did you read:
viewtopic.php?t=941 ?
You might copy and print the images. That is what helps me.

It was all Klingon to me when I started, but like all else, the more you work with it the simpler it seems.

Once your font collection gets beyond a few thousand the idea of finding what you want by name or "Egyptian" or "Clarendon" styles becomes ludicrous.

When you sort your fonts by Panose You don't really need to know anything.
Just scroll up or down the list in numerical order until you start seeing styles similar to what you are looking for.

Knowing:
2 = more formal styles with the second digit grouping serifs or sans serifs;
3 = hand written styles with the second digit grouping tool type;
4 = decorated versions of the above
will put you in the right ballpark.

Once you have found the ones you REALLY like, use MainType to store directions to them in groups for the next time you want them.
viewtopic.php?t=1190

The only problem is the fonts that were never Panosed or were Panosed wrong.
Even so, It is far and away the easiest and best system for finding a specific font I have found.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
jtchurch

Post by jtchurch »

Thanx for the reply!
That might help me too!