Database management

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
MikeW

Database management

Post by MikeW »

Old chestnut here...

It would be handy to be able to deal with the database without an uninstall/reinstall. A Rebuild option is really needed. And perhaps it can deal with the ignore list at the same time.

It would also be handy if there is an option to delete a font it would be removed altogether from MT without adding to an ignore list. Maybe the last is possible, but I don't see how. Other font managers seem to handle this more gracefully. Like, delete is delete. No ignores.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Database management

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MikeW wrote:It would also be handy if there is an option to delete a font it would be removed altogether from MT without adding to an ignore list. Maybe the last is possible, but I don't see how. Other font managers seem to handle this more gracefully. Like, delete is delete. No ignores.
I usually remove fonts permanently from MainType before updating my fonts.
Attachments
Remove Permanently.png
Remove Permanently.png (28.24 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Yes, I use that as the option. I get a lot of Ignored fonts. I would prefer that MT simply integrates a rebuild of the database. Even if it was in the FMSConfig utility application. I don't care.

Programming an application that is using a database without being able to internally or externally manage said database is simply short-sighted. Don't get me wrong, I like MT. Which, unlike some other applications we both use, I haven't created a mile-long wish-list for MT. Love everything about it with this one exception.
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

Old thread, I know, but the problem is still there.

In particular, if you remove a font from MainType, there is no choice not to ignore that font. Then, if you later get a font with the same name, you won't see it until you un-ignore. Unfortunately, this also shows any "ghost" records for the font you deleted in the first place.

There needs to be a way to permanently remove a record from the database without affecting future font visibility.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As I said above, I frequently permanently remove old versions of my fonts from the database to replace them newer versions. They have the same names. They are not ignored, but you need to refresh the font folders to see them.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486