Removing Duplicates and Other Feature Requests

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Zerstreuter

Removing Duplicates and Other Feature Requests

Post by Zerstreuter »

Hi there ,

I'm using this App (Maintype 6) since a half year. Now I have a library of more than 1,000 fonts.
After combining all my font sources to one folder there are a lot of duplicates.
Why MT6 cannot find and delete duplicates ? I have to use a third party tool to find all duplicates and remove them. In my opinion is this a "must have" for a $40 software !!!

other missing features are :
  1. Fonts moveable to own groups instead of add linked group
  2. Fonts inside automatic category moveable to another category
  3. Add activities to collapsed family groups, e.g. moveable to category, delete without expanding, marking all fonts inside, un-)installing, add tags to fonts
  4. Combining font family with a high similarity to another
I hope you can add this missing features to V6+
greetings
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Removing Duplicates and Other Feature Requests

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please see Erwin's Reply to an Earlier Thread about the behaviour of family groups.

It's the Easter weekend here — I hope he is enjoying a break, so he might not respond for a few days.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Zerstreuter

Post by Zerstreuter »

i see what you mean.
I'm understand that MT can't automaticly categorize all existing fonts. This is impossible.
But there is the human behind the PC. We can categorize them. We see the fonts in direct compare and can them categorize.

please allow us to sort them in own families or existing families.

In my opinion this could be able to do. For better understanding my problem ...

There are some fonts with same name but different words at the end .. watch attachment ..

Now i want to group them under one family without the last words.

i hope you can understand what i want.

greetings
Attachments
families
families
Zwischenablagebild (7).jpg (983.3 KiB) Viewed 10374 times
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Yes, but that decision was made by the authors and/or publishers to have then separate and internally, because they are not named the same, will not be automatically grouped as a family no matter what application is used for organizing the font. The internal family names need changed for such action.

There is at least one application that I believe can rename the internal names to provide a consistency and end up with a single family in your example (TransType). There have been times that I have consolidated some of my own fonts this way using FontCreator. One reason I use FC is because chances are there are other issues in even commercial fonts I take the time to fix along the way. Do note that some commercial fonts expressly allow for personal changes to a font. Many/most do not give that permission.

Mike
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Zerstreuter wrote:Hi there ,

I'm using this App (Maintype 6) since a half year. Now I have a library of more than 1,000 fonts.
After combining all my font sources to one folder there are a lot of duplicates.
Why MT6 cannot find and delete duplicates ? I have to use a third party tool to find all duplicates and remove them. In my opinion is this a "must have" for a $40 software !!!
First of all MainType is a font manager, not a file manager. If we did offer such feature, some/most people would like to decide which one of the duplicates they wish to keep, etc. Making it more complex for its needs.

Since MainType holds a copy of each unique font resource file, you can just delete all copies on file. If you need them again, just select them in MainType, right-click and select Export...
Zerstreuter wrote:other missing features are :
  1. Fonts moveable to own groups instead of add linked group
You can physically move or copy font resource files to "Keep in sync" font folders.
Zerstreuter wrote:[*]Fonts inside automatic category moveable to another category
What do you mean with this?
Zerstreuter wrote:[*]Add activities to collapsed family groups, e.g. moveable to category, delete without expanding, marking all fonts inside, un-)installing, add tags to fonts
We will add this request to our to-do list.
Zerstreuter wrote:[*]Combining font family with a high similarity to another[/list]
Right now this is how most software let you choose fonts, so we don't want to change the way we represent font families.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology