Online Font Catalogues

Before asking a question on MainType look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Online Font Catalogues

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Using MainType, I created a catalogue of fonts from a number of Serif™ Desktop Publishing products.

Serif™ Fonts Index

If you're searching for a particular font, a catalogue helps you to find the right installation CD. All fonts from the most recent X2 products are listed, but some duplicates also included in earlier products have been removed to save space. You can link directly to individual fonts in the catalogue using the appropriate anchor name {FontName}, e.g. Media SF.

Updated to including fonts' embedding and TTF filesize information.
To insert the product name, I created groups in MainType for each product, and edited the Template, fontitem.htf, to insert the path variable to the font {FONT_FILE_PATH}. I then used BTR Wizard to replace the full path from the generated HTML files, leaving just the folder (group) name.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

MainType 7.0: Online Font Catalogues

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Improvements to MainType in recent versions mean that I no longer have to run BTR wizard to fix the catalogue after exporting it.

I attach an archive of my edited templates that I used to create my Font Catalogue so that you can get some ideas how to edit the templates for your own needs. I tagged my own fonts added a link to My Font Page to all tagged fonts.

The HTML Export templates can be found in C:\ProgramData\MainType\

I have now uploaded a Video Tutorial to Vimeo describing how to edit the HTML Templates to modify the Font Catalogues generated by MainType 7.0.

I attach an archive of my updated HTML Templaes, which are now stored in:–

C:\%UserProfile%\Documents\MainType\Templates\
Attachments
Templates.7z
(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

MainType 8.0: Online Font Catalogues

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have updated my tutorial for Exporting an HTML Font Catalogue

I now save my custom templates in C:\%UserProfile%\Documents\MainType\Custom Templates\

The edited template files are attached.
Attachments
Custom Templates.7z
(5.46 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

MainType 10: Online Font Catalogues

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I updated my font catalogue again using MainType 10.
  • I increased the font size to 48 points for greater clarity. Export takes 50% longer, but it is worth it.
  • The size of the images is now 1260 x 120 pixels to fit long file names like Decorated035 BT Regular
  • I also edited my custom templates to make the pages wider. Modern monitors can easily accommodate the extra width without scrolling horizontally.
  • The catalogue includes Windows System fonts, which should not be deleted.