Font problems on win98

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
IceHunter

Font problems on win98

Post by IceHunter »

Hello,

I have a problem in that suddenly my fonts are not showing up in other programs, even though there are in the fonts folder.

So I tried your Fix Fonts Folders program. It tells me that for allmost all fonts the problem is "Font not properly installed", however under repair it says "No repair procedure available; the system failed to install the font" - what? Help please! What could be wrong :-/
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe you have hit the 65536 bytes Windows 95, 98 and ME Registry limit.

Can you run FiFoFo again and send the report file to me?
- Start Fifofo.exe
- Press the Ok button at the bottom of the "Read Me" Window.
- Press "Fix Fonts Folder"
- wait, wait, wait......until you see a list of fonts.
- Press "Save Report..." and select a filename
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
IceHunter

Post by IceHunter »

Ok, sent to the forum email. Thanks :)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The System default language is set to Danish (Arial fed kursiv), while it seems like Windows uses the English naming fields (Arial Bold Italic). Because they don't match, FiFoFo (and probably other software) thinks the fonts are not properly installed. I don't know how you can solve this, but maybe these questions lead to a solution: Have you changed any language settings or did you use a (buggy?) font manager to install fonts or did you install something related to fonts (e.g. a keyboard manager, etc.)?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
IceHunter

Post by IceHunter »

Erwin Denissen wrote:The System default language is set to Danish (Arial fed kursiv), while it seems like Windows uses the English naming fields (Arial Bold Italic).
This hasn't been a problem for years.
Erwin Denissen wrote: Because they don't match, FiFoFo (and probably other software) thinks the fonts are not properly installed. I don't know how you can solve this, but maybe these questions lead to a solution: Have you changed any language settings or did you use a (buggy?) font manager to install fonts or did you install something related to fonts (e.g. a keyboard manager, etc.)?
Alas not.
IceHunter

Post by IceHunter »

Btw were you saying your program might have made it worse because it doesn't understand the langauge?

(I also tried the microsoft suggestion of extracting the default fonts from the cabs to a folder and rename them in dos)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Btw were you saying your program might have made it worse because it doesn't understand the langauge?
No, FiFoFo has does understand the language, it just detected your fonts are not properly installed.

As a test, what happens when you do this:
- Make a copy of a font, say Westminster <WESTM.TTF>
- Next uninstall it either through the Windows fonts folder or MainType.
- Reboot your system
- Install the font through the Windows fonts folder.

Does that bring the font back into all your applications?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
IceHunter

Post by IceHunter »

It seemed to return some fonts.

But then after a reboot the system couldn't load gdi.exe and said to reinstall, so i guess thats it.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for the feedback. Too bad it didn't work. I sure hope you're able to get it fixed soon. Do keep us informed.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology