TrueType Scaling/Resizing Bug in Windows

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
JamesBK

TrueType Scaling/Resizing Bug in Windows

Post by JamesBK »

Hi,

I came across this message board via Google, and after reading some of the threads, I feel completely out of my depth. So please excuse my ignorance.

I've been trying to track down the cause for a Windows font I use only displaying the correct size in certain applications.
Some of the software I use seems to have a different sizing method to the typical Windows API.
Allow me to demonstrate which font I deem "correct" with this image.

I've looked everywhere to find out how to get this "in between" font size, with no success.
While attempting to create a new Bitmap/.FON using an image as reference, I discovered that only TrueType/TTF files have font smoothing, and only above a certain size.

In Summary: My question is does anyone know how change the way that the font scales, so that perhaps "Size 8" in Windows will render what was originally "Size 7.5ish".

Thanks in advance for any advice or websites people can refer me to.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

the CORRECT size

Post by Dave Crosby »

So many possibilities!

Where do you need to correct? There are so many variables at:
The Font, the program, Windows, your browser, the web, the screen, the printer ...

You could use Font Creator to adjust glyph size, or change units per em or ....

Perhaps follow this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=1087
Last edited by Dave Crosby on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
JamesBK

Post by JamesBK »

Thank you, I shall try this.

Sorry for not clarifying, I was referring to the font size on screen.

As a temporary "hack" I've changed my Operating Systems font DPI from 96 to 93, which has made the font I was after appear with "Size 8".

I'll let you know if I have any success. I need to educate myself more on the subject first though, as I have no idea what an 'em' is.
I've been using the ancient program "Softy" up until now.