How do i get rid of space between lines?

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
yvette176

How do i get rid of space between lines?

Post by yvette176 »

hi,

first, thanks for being patient with me, and for your responses to my previous post.

next: i'm trying to create a font that has no space between lines, so that when i do a line break (in word) the bottom of the character on line 1 touches the top of the character on line 2.

my metrics _appear to be_ good: each glyph is 1200x1200, i have no sub- nor superscripts, and all my ascenders are set to 1200.

is there something i've missed, or that i have set improperly?

if anyone has any advice, i'm all ears. <g>

thanks!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't know what version of Microsoft Word you have, but for Word 200t his helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921174

For previous versions go to the Format menu, select 'Paragraph' and select the line spacing you require.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
yvette176

Post by yvette176 »

Erwin Denissen wrote:I don't know what version of Microsoft Word you have, but for Word 200t his helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921174

For previous versions go to the Format menu, select 'Paragraph' and select the line spacing you require.
hi and thanks for that, but i use Word 2003.

the font is designed for large point sizes. i've set it at 72, and there are only two results i receive from changing the Paragraph line spacing - both of which result in at least 6pts or so between the characters:

a) if i set the line spacing at 48, i get appx. 6 pts between the characters; or
b) if i set the line spacing > 48, i get even more space than (a), above, between the characters.

if i set the line spacing < 48, the glyphs i've designed become truncated.

i'm really open to suggestions. should i be using a different word processor? or maybe Publisher, Quark, or something like that?

!?!?!
thanks again...
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

A font contains glyph designs.

An application scales the designs to whatever size is needed.

The display consists of a whole number of pixels. Consequently there may be rounding effects.

I wonder if you might like to try the following experiment.

Obtain a copy of my Style Art font. It is a free download from the following web page.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/fonts.htm

The direct link is as follows.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/STYLEART.TTF

Install the font.

Using the software application in which you are trying your own font, using the Style Art font, try typing the figure 1 a number of times, then press the RETURN key and then type the figure 1 a number of times again. The figure 1 glyph is a solid 2048 font unit by 2048 font unit square shape in the Style Art font.

Does the top of the second line of the display touch the bottom of the first line of the display?

If the answer is yes, then it could be your font which needs adjusting.

If the answer is no, then it could be a line spacing setting with the application which needs adjusting.

I do not know if the use of the 1200 figure is the problem, yet I usually use the following way of proceeding.

I set the positive metric values as 2048, the negative metric values as minus some multiple of 256 and the gap values as 0. This is because Windows uses "four times the point size divided by 3" as the number of pixels to render the 2048 font units of the "above the x-axis" part of my fonts and additional pixels at the same rate to render the "below the x-axis" part of my fonts.

For example, if I produce a font which goes from -768 to 2048 vertically, then the number of pixels vertically at 24 point can be calculated as follows.

The number from the "above the x-axis" part is 4 times 24 divided by 3 pixels, which is 32 pixels. 32 times 768 divided by 2048 is 12, so 32 plus 12 is 44 pixels for the rendering.

Please note how the calculations came out as whole numbers. If they did not come out as whole numbers then there could be rounding effects.

Changing your 1200 metric to 2048 could perhaps cause your font to make the rendering task of the software application easier, by avoiding it having to make rounding decisions. However, this is just a thought, it may perhaps not improve the situation at all. However, it might be worth trying unless it would mean a huge amount of work redesigning your font.

William Overington

26 February 2007
yvette176

Post by yvette176 »

William wrote: (snippage)
I wonder if you might like to try the following experiment.

Obtain a copy of my Style Art font. It is a free download from the following web page.

Install the font.

Using the software application in which you are trying your own font, using the Style Art font, try typing the figure 1 a number of times, then press the RETURN key and then type the figure 1 a number of times again. The figure 1 glyph is a solid 2048 font unit by 2048 font unit square shape in the Style Art font.

Does the top of the second line of the display touch the bottom of the first line of the display?

If the answer is yes, then it could be your font which needs adjusting.

I set the positive metric values as 2048, the negative metric values as minus some multiple of 256 and the gap values as 0. This is because Windows uses "four times the point size divided by 3" as the number of pixels to render the 2048 font units of the "above the x-axis" part of my fonts and additional pixels at the same rate to render the "below the x-axis" part of my fonts.

The number from the "above the x-axis" part is 4 times 24 divided by 3 pixels, which is 32 pixels. 32 times 768 divided by 2048 is 12, so 32 plus 12 is 44 pixels for the rendering.

Please note how the calculations came out as whole numbers. If they did not come out as whole numbers then there could be rounding effects.

Changing your 1200 metric to 2048 could perhaps cause your font to make the rendering task of the software application easier, by avoiding it having to make rounding decisions. However, this is just a thought, it may perhaps not improve the situation at all. However, it might be worth trying unless it would mean a huge amount of work redesigning your font.

William Overington
first, thank you for your reply, and second, yes, your font displays exactly the way i want mine to be displayed.

so: i'm going to copy all of the attributes of your font characteristics (*not* the glyphs) to mine and then rescale my glyphs to 2048x2048 (i only have 2 glyphs, won't take but a minute).

thank you very much - this is most helpful.