how do I give a font from a website?

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Dale Dickins

how do I give a font from a website?

Post by Dale Dickins »

Hi, I created a font with fontcreator and now want to give it to people who visit a website I'm in the middle of making. When I attached the file it's showing as 'Not Found

The requested URL /All Users/Documents/Dale/fonts/madinmelbourneFAT.ttf was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Has anyone got any tips/suggestions as to what do I need to do to make it available from the site? :?: thanks in advance for any responses.
MADinMelbourne
the ART of Making A Difference
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That address looks like the URL of a file on your local drive. No wonder your browser cannot find in on your website.

It should look more like this:

postedfiles/PhilHandwriting.ttf

or http://www.aimwell.org/assets/Pali.7z

You don't need to compress your font unless it is large, but it is not a bad idea to ZIP it first.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Giving

Post by Dave Crosby »

You need to upload it to your online storage location with something like FileZilla, then find that online location.

Usually you can right-click on the object and a popup will give the location.

Paste that into your message between the codeword URL= in brackets, the name of your font, and /URL bracketed to end the command.

Right-click on the following and look at Properties or copy image location.

Frightmare
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Dale Dickins

Post by Dale Dickins »

thanks for the quick replies guys... bhikkhu, how do I make the file into http://www anything? Frightmare, I checked into firezilla.... I'm using my hosts' ftp account - have uploaded one file with zero problems, it just won't work with the actual font tho. Would firezilla be any different?
MADinMelbourne
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Internet is case sensitive (e.g. madinmelbourneFAT.ttf and madinmelbournefat.ttf are not the same), so be sure you use the exact name of the file.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dale Dickins

Post by Dale Dickins »

thanks, I'm renaming the folder and file, zipping them and trying again.
MADinMelbourne
Dale Dickins

saving the file with lower case

Post by Dale Dickins »

Hi Irwin, I'm having difficulty installing the file with lower case. This is what I've done... autonamed it (it keeps defaulting to bold which I think is causing a problem to locate the file - I have saved it as regular however it keeps going back to bold). Then when I install it again a 'failed to install' message comes up. I remember I created it as a bold, is it possible to save it as a regular font now?
MADinMelbourne
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Irwin, I'm having difficulty installing the file with lower case. This is what I've done... autonamed it (it keeps defaulting to bold which I think is causing a problem to locate the file - I have saved it as regular however it keeps going back to bold).
Font name and font file name are two different things. I meant the font file name. Changing the internal font name has nothing to do with that.
I remember I created it as a bold, is it possible to save it as a regular font now?
This part of the user manual explains how to do that:
http://www.high-logic.com/fontcreator/m ... ttype.html

One more thing, please post separate questions into new topics. Your initial question belongs in this forum, while the Regular to Bold question should have been posted in the FontCreator - Support forum. Thanks.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Naming

Post by Dave Crosby »

You can find a lot of these answers yourself. Open Font Creator and press the Help button. Select Contents and Index. Select Search. Enter Naming, Or Bold, or italic or ... and a wealth of information will appear.

Or do the same thing on line at:

http://www.high-logic.com/fontcreator/manual/index.html
Search results for: naming

14 results found.

2 pages of results.
1. Font Family Name
AutoNaming - Font Family Name Previous Next Although it is possible to change the naming fields through the Naming window , this AutoNaming wizard...
Terms matched: 3 - Score: 588
2. Overview
Naming - Overview Previous Next Each platform has its own language items. For each language the Naming fields can be edited in the Naming window. ...
Terms matched: 3 - Score: 544
3. Naming
Options - Naming Previous Next On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Naming tab. Default Naming for New Fonts These fields are used...
Terms matched: 3 - Score: 412
4. Suggested Name Fields
AutoNaming - Suggested Name Fields Previous Next This page suggests naming fields based on the Font family name and Font subfamily name as entered...
Terms matched: 3 - Score: 304
5. Advanced Naming
Naming - Advanced Naming Previous Next More and more fonts also have some other naming fields embedded. These are made available through the Advan...
Terms matched: 2 - Score: 194
6. Edit Naming Field
Naming - Edit Naming Field Previous Next Some Naming fields can be modified within the Edit Naming Field window accessed by pressing the [...] but...
Terms matched: 2 - Score: 186
7. Font Type
Font Type Previous Next To change the font type (for example from Regular to Bold) you need to change a few settings: Things that need to be done ...
Terms matched: 2 - Score: 60
8. Create a Font
Create a Font Previous Next On the File menu, click New to create a new font. Font family name In Windows, the Font family name is displayed in th...
Terms matched: 1 - Score: 60
9. Add Language and Locale
Naming - Add Language and Locale Previous Next Some platforms allow naming fields for different languages. The Font subfamily name will be filled ...
Terms matched: 1 - Score: 30
10. Font Copyright
Font Copyright Previous Next Unless you know otherwise, you should assume all fonts to be copyrighted works that are someone's property and treat ...
Terms matched: 1 - Score: 30
Result Pages: 1 2 Next >>
My guess is that #7 has your answer:
Font Type

To change the font type (for example from Regular to Bold) you need to change a few settings:

Things that need to be done in order to change an existing regular font to italic, bold or bold italic are:
• Mac Style fields - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click the Metrics tab.
• Font Design - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the Metrics tab.
• All font subfamily name fields in the Naming window. This can be done through the AutoNaming feature.
• For a bold or bold italic version:
• Set Classification Weight to Bold - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the General tab.
• Set PANOSE Weight to Bold - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the Classification tab.
• For an italic or bold italic version:
• Set Italic Angle to a negative value (e.g. -16.33) - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the Post tab.
• Set Caret Slope values through Calculate Rise and Run - on the Format menu, click Settings and then click on the General tab.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Dale Dickins

thanks it's sorted

Post by Dale Dickins »

now I'll post a new thread to show it off!
MADinMelbourne
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: thanks it's sorted

Post by Dave Crosby »

Dale Dickins wrote:now I'll post a new thread to show it off!
We all knew you could do it! Keep on shining!
Aut nunc aut nunquam