What causes a NON-antialiased TTF, and how do I fix it?

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
smaulio

What causes a NON-antialiased TTF, and how do I fix it?

Post by smaulio »

I have an OpenType font I'd like to use in a software program, but for some reason this particular font always renders on screen without anti-aliasing (eg., the curves are very pixellated.) The problem is not with the software, as far as I know -- most of the other TTF fonts on my machine (including other OpenType fonts) render ok, with anti-aliased smooth curves. For what its worth, Font Creator and Photoshop are able to render the font with smooth curves, so the information's in there somewhere.

Does anyone know what causes this, and how I fix it? I presume there must be some data missing, or some flag set that causes this problem?

Thanks,

Matt
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
smaulio

Post by smaulio »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:See this recent thread
Hey, great thanks! That grayscale setting pretty much worked -- still a few problems here and there but I don't think I want to get into editing the hinting, so this will do for now.
Thanks for the advice.

Matt