Font versions

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Jason

Font versions

Post by Jason »

Hi guys,

is there any font organizing program that can check the font files for the latest versions?

eg: v1.014 compared to v1.086 compared to v2.000

so that the program keeps the font based on the higher version number and deletes the lesser ones. similar to adding a "file version" column to windows explorer (as that's how I am currently doing it...but it's SO very SLOW to do a lot of fonts)

thanks for any info, Jason
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font versions

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This looks like something to add to MainType. You can currently see the font revision number in the Font Properties, Font Information pane for each selected font, but it is not an option for columns or filters to show for each font in a list.

FontView.exe will, of course, show the font version number if you just double-click on a TTF in Windows Explorer.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:FontView.exe will, of course, show the font version number if you just double-click on a TTF in Windows Explorer.
Actually, it can be a bit different from that in some circumstances. I have just checked what I thought.

I have my Chronicle Text font, version 0.26, installed on the PC which I use.

So, I opened the installed version in FontCreator 5.6 and saved a copy to another folder, then I changed the version of the copy to version 7.00, using Tools AutoNaming..., as a test, and saved it.

I then went to the folder where I had put the version 7.00 font using Windows Explorer and double-clicked on the TTF file.

The font displayed was version 0.26 not version 7.00.

I then uninstalled Chronicle Text from the Windows Fonts folder.

I then went to the folder where I had put the version 7.00 font using Windows Explorer and double-clicked on the TTF file.

Version 7.00 was displayed.

I then reinstalled the Chronicle Text font back into the Windows Fonts folder from where I had parked it.

Version 0.26 was displayed.

William Overington

12 March 2009
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Windows Fontviewer always shows the installed/loaded font, so keep that in mind when you use it. Better use a decent font manager like MainType.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jason

Post by Jason »

Hi Bhikkhu, I've added it to my suggestions list Here

for the moment the fastest way for me to check and delete is via windows explorer

So I can select the older ones based on version and discard them.

I wish this feature was at least in Font Organizer (if it fails to be included in the next maintype update/release....speaking of which, any info on this Erwin?)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We have no release date yet.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology