Japanese missing chars default to uFF65 rather than .notdef

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
roboshawn

Japanese missing chars default to uFF65 rather than .notdef

Post by roboshawn »

I'm trying to create a trimmed version of a Japanese font set to be used within a small amount of RAM do to localization for a program I'm working on. Naturally, this causes some characters to be undefined. I want it such that when one of those undefined characters is used, it default to the .notdef (the undefined rectangle glyph) like any other language's font, but for some reason whenever I use this trimmed Japanese font it defaults to unicode FF65 instead. I need unicode FF65 to be useable as well though because there are valid cases where I don't want to just replace this with what would normally go in the .notdef spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've searched all around the internet and I cannot figure out why Japanese fonts do this.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Japanese missing chars default to uFF65 rather than .not

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have a look at Format, Settings, Default Char. In Latin fonts that's usually 0. Maybe its FF65 in your Japanese font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Japanese missing chars default to uFF65 rather than .not

Post by William »

The Unicode code chart that includes U+FF65 is available here.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFF00.pdf

I hope that this helps.

William Overington

21 August 2010